Chapter 35

That afternoon, old madam Shang invited Lin Jingxian to join them for lunch.

At the dining table, Shang Yushang and He Changning displayed pleasant table manners as they helped each other to add dishes to their plates and occasionally used the serving chopsticks to add appropriate dishes for their grandmother.

Yushang never hid his pampering for his wife, much less cared about how others would view him. From his perspective, there was nothing wrong with pleasing his partner with everything he had and taking charge of every aspect of their lives. To him, it was his responsibility as a husband, which he would gladly oblige to. As he watched Changning happily enjoying his food with those puffy cheeks, it was so adorable that made him want to pull him over for a kiss.

On the other hand, it was easy to know how upset Lin Jinxian was by seeing how she ate her food like she was swallowing candles. Despite that, she could not show it. Her motive today was to meet Shang Yushang and find out what reaction would he show when he saw her. She hoped that they would still have a chance to pick up where they left off. In fact, meeting different partners for the past few years had made her realize how much she missed the man, as her desires for the man continued to grow out of hand. As for that male wife, it was nothing in her eyes. She was sure that a man could never capture the heart of another man. Even if it was just a physical relationship, they would eventually get tired of one another. If they insist on living as a couple, it would only be a matter of time for them to break apart without a child to maintain the relationship.

The other motive she had, was to use their friendship to plead for her uncle. She hoped that Yushang could let her uncle off. After all, her uncle's efforts for Shang Est. for all these years were clearly evident. Even if he did make a mistake, he should not be treated too ruthlessly.

However, her way of thinking was almost too naïve. Yushang did not express any particular emotion upon meeting each other again – it was almost close to being expressionless. All his focus was on that male wife and that made her really surprised and it was hard to understand. It was a huge change of his personality and a complete opposite from how he was compared to the past. At the very least, she had not heard before that he had liked men and was disinterested in women. A few years back there were rumours going around them, but those were all her assumptions and it was also because she did not have any assurance that Shang Yushang was indeed interested in her, and all sorts of factors involved, that the whole scandal died off without an outcome.

After enduring the difficult lunch together, old madam Shang eventually went to sleep and left the couple to entertain Lin Jingxian.

The smell of the tea brewing spread across the living room as the couple sat on the double seated couch and enjoyed their tea.

Lin Jingxian made an awkward cough and asked, "Are you very busy lately, Yushang?"

Yushang fumbled with Changning's slender fingers and casually rubbed on that wedding ring worn on the ring finger. "Hm. Just dealt with some matters." Shang Yushang was not a person who was good at holding long conversations, leaving conversations to end up even more awkward.

As expected, the conversation was hard to continue but Lin Jingxian bit the bullet, "My uncle has caused inconvenience to you."

"It's just the norm. It'll get settled eventually." Yushang replied plainly without much change in his expression.

"Well, it may be rude for me to say this. Yushang, could you be magnanimous and let my uncle off?" Lin Jingxian could feel her head throbbing as she recalled her aunt's phone call to her.

In her understanding, it would never be appropriate to approach Shang Yushang without one hundred percent assurance. This time, her uncle had been too impatient. Moreover, how could that brainless Shang Yuchen be evenly matched to Shang Yushang? She had said to her uncle long ago that Shang Yushang was a very sophisticated man and it would not be easy to stir up trouble under his supervision. Yet his uncle was too blinded by power and interest and that led him to make such a fatal mistake. Even if she had come over today to plead on his behalf, she had no idea if it would work at all.