Chapter 6: Sinister Dance (part one)

(((Just a warning. This chapter has some violence and some heavy stuff. I don't want to include it to sensationalize the concept of rape or sexual assault, which happens a lot. I'm writing it because there's been so much talk about rape culture and women in the news the past year, and with my own personal history, it's something I want to write about. It's important to give women a voice and let people understand that a woman is never asking for it, no matter what, and that might become a theme in this book. But I want to do a warning because if you've been abused , feel free to skip over parts. So this is my official trigger warning note, since I know sometimes simple story lines can cause serious problems.

"What are you doing?" Max asked as I went to eat some cheese from the table.

"Eating, you prick."

"I made you a shake and some grilled tofu."

I looked at another one of his green kale smoothies and shivered. If I had to ingest one more health food shake I'd literally stab him. But I had my priorities which involved beating Hilda, so I had to stomach my diet.

"How are your feet doing?" Max asked.

I'd had blisters all week from the dancing rehearsals.

"Better" I said. "Jason rubbed my ankles for an hour last night."

"So whipped," Max said. "Whatever. Drink some water. I need you hydrated."

I didn't respond but just pick up my smoothie. I almost could stomach it since I was starving. I saw Keriann in her black sequin costume and I walked over to her. She was chowing down on sandwich and her partner did the same. How she got a nice partner who believed in eating was beyond me.

"Hey there," Keriann said. "You look hot."

"You too. Are you nervous?"

"I'm shaking," she said. "You're going to be great. Max is a good dancer."

"That is the one reason he hasn't been murdered." I said. "I hate him."

"Just focus on the prize. I heard you want to beat Hilda."

"She's awful," I said. "I'm going to take her down."

"My only goal is to impress Jerry. Jason and Jerry went to dinner, you know that. I don't know what to think of their bromance."

"It just is," I said. "I better go stretch."

"Good luck Lacy."

"You too," I said, smiling. I had a good feeling about tonight.

*

*

*

The music began and the lights glowed.I had almost forgotten the thrill of a live performance. I forgot it all, Max, Hilda, the sex tape. My feet just moved and I felt nothing but the music. Max even seemed to forget his disdain for me in the moment, unlike our rehearsals when he glared at me. His eyes were intense and I felt like he actually enjoyed it, which was impossible. How could he have any fun with that stick shoved so far up his ass? Nevertheless we were flawless. I heard the last three counts of the song and for a brief moment lost focus. My left foot fumbled but massaging me and we glided in the finish. Applause resounded and I beamed at the faceless crowd. Max smile faded as he leaned into whisper.

"You fumbled like a child," he scolded. What a douche.

We turned to face the judges and I smiled. It was over. I would either beat Hilda or loose, either way I was one dance down. And surprisingly, I'd had fun.

"Lacy, Max," the host said. "The crowd seems to enjoy the dance."

The audience whistled and cheered.