5

Lily rolled her neck a couple of times, trying to brace herself for the start of her dance class. She knew she had to put on a happy face, especially after seeing San and Wooyoung yesterday. She closed her eyes and went through her mental checklist.

I have my songs.

I have my passion for music.

I have my mask.

Nodding, she walked in to join her group. "Good morning!" She said, lacing her voice with false cheer.

"Good morning, Lily!" San stood up to greet her.

Yunho smiled brightly, liking the change he saw today. "How are you doing? We were just wondering what songs you brought with you."

Yeosang smiled and nodded. "We already know what we picked."

Wooyoung said nothing but watched Lily closely.

"Well, I have to admit, I picked out a few more than three." She said, pulling out a crinkled piece of paper. "If we are wanting to really try and stand out, I feel like we should maybe even do multiple songs and try to mash them together."

Silence.

"What?" Lily said, looking up.

Yunho's jaw had dropped slightly. San was trying to hold back a fit of giggles at the sight.

"What?" She asked again.

"I think that's the most you've spoken to any of us." Yeosang said finally.

Lily blushed and looked down again. Dammit...

Noticing her getting flustered, San grabbed the pieced of paper from her hands. "Ooooo! You have a really varied taste in music, don't you?" He leaned over so Wooyoung could read too. The other two soon huddled around as well.

Lily felt her fingers traveling to her charm, seeking its comfort as her chest tightened.

"I like 'Sandstorm'." Yunho said. "That's a good, fast paced song that could be worked in anywhere." The others nodded in agreement.

"Ellie Goulding!" San said, almost squealing. "She's got some good music too!" He clapped, "great list Lily!"

A blush creeped its way into her cheeks at the praise. It felt unnatural, but... good.

"Ok," Yunho said, clapping his hand once. "Let's brainstorm!"

The spent the rest of the class talking about different songs they could dance to, different varieties of music, and even some moves they could do.

Lily did her best to throw in her ideas too, focusing on keeping her mask on.

When the class finally ended, the boys went to meet their friends after bidding Lily goodbye. She lingered, waiting for the room to clear.

Friday's were her favorite day because she wasn't expected home until late, so she took the excuse to use the empty room to dance.

When she was sure she was alone, she walked over to the stereo, plugged in her iPod, and scrolled through her songs. After taking a minute, she eventually decided on 'Keep Holding On'. When she allowed herself to get lost in the music, the lyrics soothed her.

Lily closed her eyes, letting herself fall into her happy place, before she allowed her body to move with the music. She didn't think, she did. After a minute, she even started singing. Her voice trembled with passion and pain. During the chorus, she felt herself reaching out for something, someone, anything, then pulled her arms sharply to her chest, turning in a tight circle before spreading her arms wide, singing with all her might.

.

.

.

A shadow hovered in the doorway, watching the girl move in ways not seen by a common dancer. But even more impressive was her voice. He had only ever heard one other like it, and he couldn't help but chuckle, thinking her voice might actually be better.

---

"Well that was a nice change of pace." Yunho said to his friends as they walked across campus. "Maybe she's finally opening up to us."

"Maybe, but she wasn't wearing her brace..." Wooyoung stated, seeming uninterested.

"What?" He heard a screech from behind him.

Seonghwa marched forward and placed his hands on the youngers' shoulders. "Say that again."

"She wasn't wearing the brace you gave her, Hwa."

---

As soon as Lily walked into her house, she knew something was wrong. It was too quiet. She prayed her father was asleep as she crept up the stairs.

"Where have you been."

Lily froze, her hand on her door handle, inches away from freedom. "It's Friday, Father. I had late practice, like always."

Lily felt her lip trembling as her father stumbled closer, reeking of alcohol. He grabbed her chin and pulled her close to him. "I. Don't. Care." He hissed. "I needed you, and you weren't here. Now what are we going to do about that."

Lily let her shoulders drop in submission. The man squeezed her chin tighter before using his other hand to grab her wrist, not caring the swelling had yet to go down. He pulled her to his room and locked the door.

Lily blinked, then closed her eyes as she heard him grunting while rummaging in a drawer. She slowed her breathing, forced any human part of her down, tucking it away deep inside her. She was so far gone, there was almost no reaction when she felt her hoodie being pulled over her head and a collar lock in place around her throat. Nothing, except her trembling lip.

She let the man drag her forward. She let him run his greasy hands over her, pull her hair, kiss her in the crook of her chin and neck.

Whenever she thought she might burst through the mask, she reminded herself what would happen if she disobeyed the man. This was nothing compared to what he could do. She felt a slight comfort in the fact that he was too drunk to take if farther... Tonight...

The more he yanked on the collar, the more she could feel the bruising come back. It got to the point where she couldn't hold back her yelps of pain any longer, making the man grin at her pain.

"There, there, Pet. You're being such a good girl tonight, aren't you?"

"Y-yes, Daddy." She cursed herself for stuttering. And she regretted it too when he yanked her head up to be level with his. He chuckled as he ran his tongue down her cheek and neck.

"Sing for me, Songbird." He breathed into her shoulder before biting down, leaving indents.

"What would you like to hear, Daddy." She asked, all life gone from her voice...