chapter eight

*Grayson's POV*

When I wake up I just want everything to be normal. I know exactly what to do.

I call Averrinna and wait for her to pick up, finally after a few rings she answers.

"Hey..."

"Hey, um I know this sounds odd but tell your dads your feeling better."

"Why?"She asks with genuine confusion

"Just trust me..."

"Okay. I'll call you back in a minute."

"Okay."

I hang up and head to Ethan's room. He's fast asleep. Big surprise.

"Hey, wake up!" I shake him until he wakes up

"What?!"

"Get dressed. Now."

"What the fuck? Hell no! Did you just forget what happened yesterday?"

"No. But staying home isn't going to help it. She didn't want us to be sad; she wanted us to be happy. We might not be happy but we can be normal."

He nods understandingly.

I go back to my room and Avery calls.

"I told them. They were confused but didn't question it."

"Perfect. I'll see you at school."

I hang up and get ready.

When we get to school I spot Averrinna and park next to her.

She's wearing her hoodie but her hood is down. I know that was difficult for her.

When she sees us she gets out and gives us extra tight and long hugs.

"Thank you for coming."

"Of course. Whatever makes you feel better."

"I know not having your hood on is hard, it means a lot."

"I thought it would be more respectful."

"I'm sure she appreciates it. She would've loved you."

She smiles and her eyes get glossy. She stands in the middle of us and locks arms with the both of us.

People stare but I can tell she doesn't care.

Her head is high and Ethan and I are staring at the ground. We're all wearing black and people don't say anything because they know something is wrong.

Before we drop off Ethan at his class she gives him a hug and whispers something in his ear. He smiles and goes into the classroom.

We walk to our class with our heads low and arms still locked.

As we sit down the bell rings and everyone notices us.

It's hard to focus but we do. The teacher doesn't call either of our names and neither does any other teacher.

The classes go by quickly and we all head to lunch together.

All of our arms are locked and we stay together in the lunch line. No one dares to cut in front of us.

When we sit down people stare but no one comes over. We all stay quite throughout lunch and go through the rest of our classes the same way. Arms locked. Heads low. Not a single spoken word.

When the final bell rings we all head to our cars.

I finally shed a tear and Ethan does the same. We all hug each other for a moment until people start coming over to us.

"hey, is there something wrong?" A random girl asks with a group of friends

"We're about to go pay our respects to our mother. She passed away and she wanted us to be normal. So we went to school. Now we're going to get some flowers and pay our respects."

"Can we come?"

"She would like that,"

"Do you mind if we invite some friends?"

"The more the merrier. She liked geusts."

"I'll follow you guys."

They run over to their friends and before we know it half the school is following us.

We get to the store and everyone gets flowers and items that they think she would like.

When we get to my house there's a shit ton of people. We all go in the back and place the items next to the fire pit.

"In the loving memory of Lisa Dolan. The best mother out there, a gorgeous woman, a faithful wife, and a wonderful woman overall."

The three of us say a speech to the crowd and people give us a variety of items, such as money or food.

Within an hour the only people left is the three of us.

"Good news is we have enough money for rent for about six months and food for the next three." Ethan says

I chuckle.

"This isn't supposed to be sad. This is a celebration of moms life. She had a great life. Now it's over. As simple as that"

They both nod and we lay down next to the pit.

We just lay there like that for hours.