chapter seven

*Grayson's POV*

When I get home my parents are yelling at each other. Then they notice me.

"Hi honey, where have you been?" She asks like nothing was happening

"I was at a friends house."

"Oh, that's great honey."

Like she cares.

"I got a lot of homework. I'll talk to you later."

Dad storms out of the house and as I'm about to go upstairs my mom tugs on my shirt.

"Honey, if anything happens to me give this to the police." She hands me a hard drive

Then she hands me a piece of paper.

Her will and a hard drive. Something isn't right.

"Honey, I love you okay. Take care of your brother for me. Promise me."

"I promise mom." I say with glossy eyes

"I've already said good bye to your brother. I don't want you to be sad when I'm gone."

What do I even say to that?

"Mom please don't. We can get a restraining order on dad and we can live happy lives!"

"It's my time baby."

I pull her into a hug knowing it's going to be the last.

Tears run down my cheeks but I don't care.

"Bye-"

"don't say that. It's just a 'see you later'."

She nods and leaves.

I go into Ethans room and he's crying too.

I could really use one of Avery's comforting hugs right now.

I lay down next to him and we just cry for hours.

When I'm done I leave his room and go to dad's room. I throw his shit out the back window into the fire pit. Ethan joins me.

When all his shit is in the pit we go out back and light it on fire.

"In loving memory of Mom. The best woman you would ever meet."

"Her kids were everything to her."

"She was gorgeous, she could make any man go head over heels for her but she stayed faithful to that piece of shit."

We just watch the fire and when it's all burned it feels good.

All the tears are gone. Most of the pain is gone.

Now I'm just numb.

I go up to my room and stare at the ceiling. I grab my computer and facetime Avery.

I explain the situation and she listens and cries with me.

She tells her dads that she's feeling really sick and can't go to school tommorrow. She told me that she'll tell them she's getting medicine and come over and we can, well I'm not sure. Probably give the police the flash drive and the will and take things from there. I have no idea how to do this type of thing.

I don't think Avery does either. She just wants to be there for her friends. I appreciate that about her.

She doesn't have to do this but she wants too. That means the world to me.

Not many people would help out someone with this typeof thing if they barely knew them. Although we haven't known each other that long it feels like I've known her my whole life.

If I had to do this with anyone I would want to with Ethan and Averrinna.