Compromise

There was soft tapping at Jungkook's door, Joy excuses herself from her witty conversation with the half-asleep, very high policeman. Ever since that nurse gave him stronger morphine he's been even more dopey. She found it cute, especially considering how many lovey-dovey compliments he kept making at her, both directly and indirectly.

Taehyung, Hope and Jimin were at the door, they smile and wave, Jimin holding a gift basket with Get Well Soon balloons attached. "Hey guys," she greets letting them in and shutting the door behind them. "He's kind of out of it now, the nurse changed his morphine and now he can't seem to fall asleep." She explained, slightly amused by Jungkook's antics, but she felt like a concerned parent. God, she wanted to kick herself for feeling so worried over him. She can't help it, though.

"Hyungs! You're here!" Jungkook exclaimed in Korean, his voice dragging a little when he saw his friends. Jimin chortled, "Yeah he's doped up, I didn't think morphine did this to people."

Joy shrugged, "Me neither, maybe it's a side effect from the surgery, too? Or maybe his body's not used to so many drugs?"

Hope approaches the bed, "How're you feeling, Kook? Any better?"

"I feel great with Joy here." He explained gleefully, Joy feeling a little flustered. He had a goofy smile plastered on his face and was obviously fighting sleep. "How has he been, really, Joy?" Taehyung asked her under his breath.

She sighs, "Still in pain, but the drugs are helping, I think. He didn't handle the needle that well." The others hum in understanding.

"Ah, yeah. When he was young his parents took him to the doctor and the person administering the needle did a bad job, it was really traumatic for him. He just doesn't like seeing it enter his skin." Jimin elaborated, Joy nodding; it made sense. She felt so bad for poor Kookie, he can't help being vulnerable right now. She wished he told her about this fear of needles instead of figuring out the hard way, she might have been able to handle him better. Simply thinking about how anxious he was made her want to hold him all over again.

Taehyung spots someone sitting idly in the corner. "Oh, hyung. When did you get here?" He asked Jungkook's brother, setting his grocery bag of sports drinks down and approaching Junghyun.

Hope looks up at Joy with a smile, "You okay, Joy?" She whispered.

The younger woman nods, "How's my baby?"

"Marble? He's missing you guys so much. He hasn't been trouble, though." She assured, Joy smiling at that. Jungkook's lids keep falling, but he tries to leave them cracked open. Joy strokes his hair, "Get some rest, Kookie. Okay? I'll be here when you wake up."

"Promise...?" He asked her hopefully, sounding innocent. He manages to open his big doe eyes a bit more to give her puppy eyes and a pout, showing off his cute little mole under his lip. His inner child seemed to come out when he's high, Joy took mental notes as she wasn't sure when she'd be able to see JK under any other type of influence. She grabs his hand to squeeze, "Promise."

"Okay." He huffs sleepily, letting his lids fall. To Joy's satisfaction they don't rise again. Within moments he's asleep.

Taehyung and Jimin are pulled from their conversation with Junghyun, looking conflicted. Joy turns to Hope, "While he's asleep, could you guys take me home? I want to come back more prepared." She needed clothes for herself, as well as Jungkook for his departure, plus she'd let him eat a few of the cookies she'd made like they'd planned before all this happened.

"Yeah, I can take you," Hope whispered. "Let's go before he wakes up."

Joy smiles gratefully, grabbing her box of things from her office and following Hope. "Come back soon, Joy, we don't want him to wake up in a bad mood because you're not here." Said Jimin, "We'll watch him."