Chapter Thirteen: Awkward Talking

'Yeah, because I was mad at you, not because I stopped loving you!' - Rachel Green, The One At The Beach

'You still love me?' - Ross Geller, The One At The Beach

---

Ross took a big gulp while he looked at Rachel with huge puppy eyes that were shaking with fear. His mouth was a tiny bit open, as if he didn't know what to say. I knew that with my experience back where I existed, it was not a comfortable area to be around them at this time. I looked over at Joey who was just behind me, as I had stepped forward near the door for our new apartment, speechless as well and a little scared - was what I thought he felt - as he had seen the look on Rachel's face. His eyes moved from Rachel's face, to Ross' then to mine. They seemed to say, What's up with them?

I for one also looked at Rachel and Ross and knew the chemistry was just not where it was supposed to be. And I just realised why Ross must still be into Rachel. Just as he had left for his dig in China, Joey and I gave him a pep talk on how Rachel would never like him back and that he should start looking for other women - to forget about his love from Year 9.

"Alright, looks like it's our time to relax…" I glanced over at Joey again and he nodded quickly and repeatedly as if he  desperately wanted to get out of this situation. I clapped my hands once as if we had finished something while doing a small jump and gave them a smile. I am always known for breaking the silence, whether it was where I existed or where I don't.

I stepped a little backwards and held the door handle. I saw Ross' eyes widen so I bet he knew what I was about to do. He eyes were a mix of don't you dare, I'll kill you and please I'll do anything for you. I really took pity on him but I could stand him and Rachel no longer. I gave him a look that said sorry, not sorry. And with that, I pushed the door close til the end and leant on it for a few seconds before I turned around and faced Joey. He seemed to be able to breathe.

"Woah, who was she?"

"You know what, I'll explain later," I said with a small puff. I walked over to the sofa - oh wait, there was no sofa, so I just leant on the kitchen bench. I looked at the ground and gave a little smile. "Good luck Ross."

Joey suddenly appeared right underneath my face where I was looking. "Who are you talking to?"

I was stunned a little. "Hm? Who? What? Nothing…"

---

Ross made a nervous chuckle as he turned to face Rachel slowly. He made one fist on his right and his left flat out and clapped them both together repeatedly, his arm swinging down from an angle making a forced smile.

"So, uh.." He was obviously lost for words. "What have you been up too? I haven't seen you in a while…" You could probably sense the nervousness in his voice. He made a nervous and forced chuckle, the one that he always uses in uncomfortable times.

"Nothing. Just stuff." Rachel replied back agitated, showing the resentment of hers in Ross. Her foot tapped the ground as if she was impatient - which she probably was - and her high heel shoes clicked onto the ground, loud and clear as Treeger had left and there was no one around besides them.

"Well I better.. you know, head back inside…" Ross pointed towards the door Chandler and Joey had just gotten away with casually. Well, what he thought was casual.

"Mhm. You should." There was no emotion in her voice besides anger and annoyance.

Ross was already turning towards the door when suddenly a thought struck his mind which made him stop in his tracks. He turned his head back where it was - quite quickly too. He slid his feet and whole body and turned anti clockwise. He faced Rachel and started to give an annoyed chuckle. One that you would give if someone said something to offend you and they didn't know and they don't care.