Chapter Eleven: A Quarrel

On the lot of a local vehicle dealership Trish stands and leans on the side of her Ford Mustang car, watching as Kyle manoeuvres a brand new Suzuki Samurai jeep, which through his father's assistance he has now just bought.

With a flourish, Kyle folds the purchase contract paper and sticks it into the glove compartment of the jeep. The model is one with an open roof, supplied with covering to be rolled over the frame if cover is desired.

Trish holds her arms folded across her chest and smiles at Kyle. He brings the jeep to a temporary halt beside her, leaving the engine running.---There are three other buyers and a salesman examining new jeeps in the background.

She comments, "It looks nice. Now you can follow me to Deak's place."

Kyle replies, climbing out of the jeep and approaching Trish, "Listen, I want to talk to you about that. I don't want you to go to Deak's place. We're both going to quit that whole group of his."

On hearing this, Trish starts brushing her hair back nervously.

"Why?"

"I got a telephone call this morning warning me that Deak was very bad, accusing him of slander, blasphemy of sacred rites, kidnapping and murder. I was specifically warned to get you away from him."

"Kyle... Who called you?"

"It was---it was a man's voice. He said he was commissioned to warn me."

"Commissioned?"

"Yeah,---I guess that means he was told to do it by somebody."---forcefully---"You know, something just isn't right about Deak! Have you ever stopped and thought about some of the things he says?"

There is a pause.---Trish opens her mouth to say something, then hesitates, looking at Kyle with gaping astonishment and consternation.

"We're just acting things out.---Come on! It's an act!

Kyle himself hesitates. He lowers his eyes and his head, and presses his fist against the palm of his other hand several times as he stands in front of Trish.

"And then there's that Jaguar that keeps lurking around all the time."

Trish becomes upset; she responds, loudly.

"Now you're really inventing things!"

"No I'm not!"---very quick pause---"I care about you, Trish! I care about you very deeply!

That's why I don't want you to go back there anymore!"

"Well, you don't have that sort of claim on me!"

Kyle says, angrily and loudly, "That's not the point! It's that I care about you!"

"So...so what...you think Deak is the Devil?"

"I don't know."

"What...what are you saying? In other words, you don't know that he isn't the Devil?!

Kyle replies, taking a step back, "Now hold on, that isn't what I meant to say!"

Trish turns sharply and starts getting into her car.

She calls out, loudly, "Forget it! I'm going! I don't care what you want to do!"

Still angry, Trish starts the engine of her car, then turns and manoeuvres her car very sharply, rather dangerously, driving off the lot and away with a squeal of tires.

The lot salesman, an Asian man, jogs up to Kyle from the background.

Kyle stands gazing after Trish; he does not notice the salesman.