32 | Bare

◈A D R I A N◈

Ah, such bliss.

It was almost blinding as I laid on a fluffy cushion of misty clouds. The gentle rays of golden sun shone through the playful clouds and illuminated the whole sky in its glory hue. Smiling, I stretched the kinks out of my limbs only to find them secured as if they were bound by invisible shackles yet they didn't feel restrictive.

Not at all.

On the contrary, I felt safe and weightless; my body's a kite tied to the wrist of a nameless man.

He strolled down the meadow with a leisure pace, the wind gently rocked my body like a baby's cradle. Curiosity reared its head and I craned my neck to find out who was the man but the fog settled between us, his face playing hide-and-seek with me.

No matter how hard I blew or flapped my hands at the stubborn mist, they refused to budge and remained between us. Irritation slowly wormed its way and so I began to pull at the string, slowly eliminating the distance.

The fog cleared a little but the man's face was still obscured from my sight. My hands gained speed as I pulled faster with my body levitating behind me, unable to find ground.

Soon, there were only a couple of feet left before I could see him. As my fingers began to curl around the string, a maniacal laugh filled the air and the once blissful atmosphere turned rocky and stormy.

I looked up to see thunderclouds rolling in and blocked all light. Gentle breeze morphed to a violent typhoon, causing my body to flap helplessly like a surrendered white flag.

Hey!

I screamed at the man but he couldn't hear me. He carried on with his leisure walk on the meadow unperturbed by the erratic weather above him.

Hey, mister!

I yelled again but my voice still couldn't reach his ears as the laughter grew almost thunderous. Goosebumps rippled down my arms soon after the wind picked up its speed, bullets of raindrops shot at me painfully.

I couldn't keep my eyes open from the persistent rain washing over my face no matter how I angled my head away. The howling wind coupled with the chilling laughter cooked up a symphony of death, deafeningly loud and eerie.

Are you scared of me?

I could almost hear the silky voice breathing down my neck. My eyes shot open at the voice and I turned my head to look for the owner. Damon's grinning face was right in front of me as he floated like a black shadow. He looked down at the string clutched in my palms and followed the trail to the nameless man below.

My lifeline.

With a charming smile, he flicked open a razor and waved playfully at me.

Fly, Addie boy!

He taunted and with a flick of his wrist, the string was cut clean and the wind carried me far and above.

"Noooooo!"

My body jerked and spasmed,  involuntarily agitated my wounds. I was instantly awake and moaned at the sharp pain near my chest, a lone tear sneakily slid down my cheeks.

Groaning, I slowly peeled my heavy eyelids open and sealed shut immediately at the blinding light. I tried again, slowly this time with my right arm shielding the light source.

Blinking away my tears, I was slowly becoming aware of my surroundings. The faint beeping sound and the occasional whiff of antiseptic confirmed my suspicion.