Chapter 5

Chapter 5

DERRICK BROUGHT me onto a stage before the rest of his brethren and there was a lot of clapping. I spied Caprice and her little band of abused women standing to the side and smiling at me with jealousy. They probably thought I was too old to score a date with their precious Alpha. Actually, when I looked at him, I had to admit, I appreciated his scent now that he smelled of money. Remin — that town was a gold mine. Could he really deliver the goods?

"And now, I want to present to you my beloved, my one true eternal love - Anna Yasmin," Derrick held my hand up Hunger Games style, and I smiled warily at the crowd. Yes, these were to be my soldiers with whom I would take that town. I didn't care if they were probably a cult. What mattered was that they would make that glorious town mine. In order to take over Remin, I would jump into bed with Osama Bin Laden himself if I had to.

Who cares if they were brokering marriages of underage women to abusive men if I were sitting on a gold-plated yacht in Hercules Bay in Monaco?

"I'm so glad he choose me!" I began in a high-pitch girlish voice, but Derrick motioned for me to be quiet. He leaned into my ear.

"Sssh, they don't like it when women talk here. It's a patriarchy thing."

"Oh," I said. "In that case, I hope you all get your dicks chewed off by demons in Remin," I whispered back.

"You're such a charmer, my dear," Derrick said as he motioned for me to get off the stage and to join the women in the corner.

I watched from the shadows as Derrick paced about the stage. He made quite the handsome, fearless leader.

"Now, I know that for ages, Remin has been ruled by the blue-blooded families of the big city. But, I say no more. With my reign as Alpha of this pack, I say we take back Remin for the Moon Goddess. It is the moon that controls the tides of the waters beneath Remin. It is with Lycan blood that we will overcome the demons that crawl out of the cursed caverns."

I chuckled as I listened. He was good. I ducked into a corner and started to text my stepmom.

I overreacted. I'm safe. Sorry. Please don't call James.

Already called. He'll be there before midnight.

I sighed. Great, now my boyfriend was going to show up to ruin everything! I decided to text James even though it was too late to tell him to turn back.

Hey, sorry for the false alarm. Can you get a hotel room till morning? I'll explain everything then.

Are you sure?

Very sure! Never been more S-U-R-E

Ok. Meet up for brunch?

Yeah. Sorry gotta go. My girls are here.

"He's dreamy, isn't he?" Caramel asked as she bumped her hip into mine. "Did you guys do it yet? Did he show you his tribal tattoo?"

"He has a tattoo?" I asked, swallowing hard.

"Yeah, we all do. You don't?"

I rolled my eyes. My father always said to marry a man with a bad tattoo. That way, you know he has experience committing to bad decisions for life.

"No, never got the chance to do that between going to prep school and Oxford business school."

"Wow, you are fancy. And old. You already graduated from college? How old are you?"

"I'm only twenty-six!" I snapped. "Geesh. How old is Derrick?"

"He's twenty-eight. But most of the time, an Alpha finds a Luna who is at least half his age."

"Eww, oh cringe," I said. Then I thought about how I was going to profit off the Black Gold of Remin and I laughed it off. "I mean, what a quaint culture you guys have here. I'm learning so much."

"It's okay," Caramel whispered into my ear. "You can lie and tell him you're twenty-one. Maybe he'll never know that you're leftover like Christmas Cake on New Year."

***

I was ripping his clothes off before we even got back to our dusty cottage. I guess I felt like I needed to prove myself after being told I was too old to fuck by a teenager. As I ripped Derrick's button-down shirt open, I smiled and ran my nails down his chest.

"Yow-ouch, that hurts!" He muttered as he picked me up and carried me into the house. He tossed me down on one of the moldy old couches and ripped the Louboutins off my feet. "You're going to pay for that. I'll have you know I'm quite the virtuoso with my tongue."

"Oh really?" I asked and slapped him across the face. "Really? How many of these she-wolves have you gone down on?"

"Ouch, why do you keep hurting me?"

"Because I like dominating men in bed, that's why."

"Oh, okay," he said. "That explains a lot. In that case, do you want me to put on your underwear and let you paint my nails and call me a sissy boy?"

"Wow, that was oddly specific," I said. "Have you done that before?"

He blushed and shook his head. "N-no, of course not! I'm a ruthless Alpha who is about to conquer an enchanted village for my Luna. I would never let a woman finger-bang me up my back door! Never."

"How about this - blink once if you want my finger up your butt, blink twice if you want me to keep my hands to myself."

"Is there a third option?"

"You blinked once!"

"I was just blinking! It means nothing. Geesh, do we need to come up with a safe word?"

"No time for that," I grabbed his face in mine and pushed his curly blond head down between my legs. "Get to work, asshole. My boyfriend is coming over in the morning."

"Wait!" Derrick jumped up and growled at me. "You have a boyfriend?"

"Yeah, do we have a problem? At no point in this entire arrangement did I agree to be exclusive did I?"

"Well," Derrick said and scratched his head sheepishly. "I was hoping we could give it a go. You know, just for fun."

"Ha-ha, like as in a joke?"

"Sort of. Are you really not at all attracted to me? I mean, what does this boyfriend have that I don't?"

"Well, for one thing, he's not the leader of a cult."

"Oh, stop it, Anna. Like I said, I'm not like the rest of them. I get you. I want to make you happy. No matter how many Manhattan cocktails I have to make."

"You do make a mean cocktail," I said in contemplation. "How about this? I'll dump James if you deliver Remin to me. Is that a deal?"

"Okay," Derrick growled and crawled on top of me. He did have a beautiful six-pack with just the right amount of chest hair. "Deal."

"Are you sure?" I asked as I pressed my palms on his heaving, sweetly masculine chest. "They say Remin is cursed."

"I'll uncurse it. Trust me, my Luna. This is the part where I make a speech about the power of true love, yadda yadda."

"If we're relying on the power of true love, then we're doomed."

"It's okay; I'm sure if I end up dying in the caves of Remin, you'll find yourself a new fuckboy before my body is cold. So either way, you win."

I chuckled and brought him in for a kiss. "Okay. Then you have yourself a deal."