Chapter Fifteen. .

AALEA JIMENEZ

Un SobriquetEcraserUn butDècevior

Un Sobriquet
Ecraser
Un but
Dècevior

My eyes looked at the white board of French words Mrs. Neely jotted down in her cursive handwriting. She does it every beginning of class to see who has really studied. With our quiz coming on Friday— tomorrow. Inwardly, I thought about the words and the meaning. I have doubts about remembering the meaning of them. When I had to study at home my mother continued to ask me to do something, I had to cook, or held Jasmine with her homework. Something a mother should be taking care of.

"Dècevior," Mrs. Neely spoke as she walked into class a few minutes late. A cup of coffee, and bag from 7 Eleven she placed on her desk. "Someone give me the meaning."

Class was silent. Students either scratched their necks, or looked around, not knowing the correct answer. Demand? No, no...to disappoint? Yeah, that's it. Mrs. Neely looked at all of us awaiting an answer. She realized she wasn't going to receive one which caused her to scoff.

"You guys are kidding me, right?" She questioned. "Last week I sent these words home to study. The quiz is tomorrow. DeAndre," she got his attention from staring at his phone. "Dècevior, give me the meaning."

"Umm, it mean— I don't know, Mrs. Neely. I ain't study."

She shook her head. "What about you, Sharif? You study or follow your cousins footsteps in not studying?"

"I studied," Sharif spoke; voice deep and baritone. "Dècevior mean to disappoint."

"Thank you, Sharif." Mrs. Neely looked directly at DeAndre who leaned back in his seat with a shrug. He's strange today. "How many of you been disappointed in life before?"

Momentarily, all of our hands raised. She looked at everyone, nodding her head. "So have I. Everyone has been disappointed in life but never allow it yo discourage you. Now, Ecraser? Someone better know the meaning..."

To crush.

"I do," Nya raised her hand. "To crush." She peered over her shoulder at DeAndre, biting her bottom lip.

Shockingly, he only gave her a tightlipped smile. Oh yeah, something wrong with him.

"Anyone of you have crushes?" Mrs. Neely questioned.

I sat silently looking around at everyone else. My eyes landed on Sharif. He winked at me biting his bottom lip. My eyes sightly widen as I faced forward. Toughen up Aalea.