Chapter 15 (Edited)

That night we were in a motel room, actually two, one for me and Ms. Brooks, whom I'm now calling Laura, and then one for David and Ralph. They were side by side and the door was open so that we could hear what was going on one side and the others could hear what was going on our side.

Now, they could hear the moaning and groaning of me as I was getting my hair turned black and cut. "Do we have to cut it?" I asked, groaning, again. I tried not to squirm, but for some odd reason, I had this fear that someone would cut my ear off with the scissors.

"Yes, now stop moving or else I'll accidentally cut your ear," Laura said holding my head still as she cut more off of my hair. She glanced at the magazine that she had got to a page showing a girl with shoulder length and bangs that fell into her eyes.

"But you're killing me here," I complained as she snipped away, expertly with the scissors. "I don't like my hair to get cut down to my shoulders, nor do I like bangs."

"Well, you'll have to live with it," Laura replied, even though I can hear a small laughter in her voice.

"Would red have been a better choice?" I asked, as she finished cutting my hair. I leaned back into the sink as she started the process of dyeing my hair black.

"No," Laura said, sharply making me flinch a little. She took a deep breath and sighed, tiredly. "Angesia people all have something in common," she said finally as she scrubbed the black dye in my hair. "They all have fair skin, light hair, and light eyes. And your mother, real mother, has red hair." Her voice had a bit of deep sadness in her, making me want to look up at her.

"What does she look like?" I asked, curiously when she pushed my head down, a little from where I had been trying to move it.

"A lot like you," she replied softly. "Even though you have your father's crooked smile and his hair color." She paused a little. "Before dyeing it."

I bit my lip as she finally washed the remains of the black dye out of my hair and letting me look at myself. I couldn't help but wonder if my mother had the same eyes as me, that seemed to change colors when I get upset or angry, as my sister had pointed out.

A deep feeling of loneliness filled my heart as I thought of my sister. How much I missed her and her funny jokes. I missed how she made me laugh, even though I wanted to cry. She was truly somebody that I had looked up to.

"You may look," Laura said noticing how I was just looking at my barley shaking hands, showing my true feelings.

I looked into the mirror and gasped at what I saw. That isn't me, I thought to myself studying the figure.

The girl, I saw, before me had wavy, shoulder length black hair that perfectly filled out her face. The bangs the girl had, made her deep blue eyes pop. The skin still looked very sickly pale, but it didn't look like the way it had before hand.

"That can't be me," I said, still staring in the mirror. "But why is her mouth moving while I'm talking?"

Laura chuckled a little and turned my head towards me. "It is you, Eira," she said brushing a strand of hair behind my hair. "Come, let's see what Ralph and David have to say about this."

I stood up, feeling the tingling sensation that Laura's touch left on my cheek before I nodded my head. "All right," I said softly as I touched my cheek and then my hair.

How I missed having someone move my hair to behind my ear for a long time. It's been such a long time, I think, since I had not kept it in a braid or a ponytail.