Chapter 2 (Edited)

Start from the beginning

My face started to burn, and I had grip the table hard. I didn't want to do anything stupid, like freezing Matthew. I didn't know if I could do that, but it was worth a shot.

"Chill, Princess, you don't want to freeze anything while people are watching," Janet whispered in my ear.

I flinched a little, because I didn't know how close she had gotten to me, until she had spoken. I closed my eyes and tried to keep my composure. I knew that if I did start to freeze people, then everyone would think that I was a monster. And, I wasn't... was I?

"Ummm, Ms. Brooks," Janet said, raising her hand. "Eira forgot to take her pills this morning, and she is kind of acting all voodooey. Is it alright if we go to the bathroom, so I can ring up Mom, so that she could give them to her?" Janet asked, lying.

Thank God for best sister friends, I thought. I took a deep breath and opened my eyes. I just hoped I could keep my cool and not freeze anything.

"You may," Ms. Brooks said still staring at me. There was this look in her eyes, that made me wonder if she was concerned about me. However, just as fast as it came, it had left, leaving her stone cold.

Janet nodded in thanks and went to touch my arm. I could tell that she had stifled gasp of surprise, because my arm was really cold, even though I didn't feel anything at all.

I let her lead me to the bathroom while she tried to keep her cool.

"Alright there horsey, go wash your face and then we'll go back got it?" Janet asked.

"Yes, Sherlock," I replied, sarcastically. I went to the sink and turned the water on, wanting to keep my cool also. I knew that I couldn't let anyone know of my secret, even though some days it was harder to keep control of it. I placed my hands in the faucet and hid back a groan as it turned into ice.

"What?" Janet asked, coming over. Her eyes widened a little as she saw that the water had turned into ice. "We need you to get you home, now," she said.

I backed away from her, still keeping my hands underneath the water. "No," I said, shaking my head stubbornly. "I-I got detention." I didn't tell her that I thought something might happen to me that would change my life, forever.

Janet rolled her brown eyes and placed her hands on her hips. "And you are about to freeze someone. Do you want to be taken away from the family?" she asked, narrowing her eyes slightly.

"I might be, anyways," I muttered as I watched the water turn back to normal, as my body temperature went back to normal. I didn't know how I knew this, but I knew that I would be leaving them.

Something... something about this Ralph fellow made a part of me click together. It was as if there was a new and exciting life ahead of me. I could feel my body vibrate in anticipation, wanting to know what would happen.

I know that I'm not making any sense but with him being here, next to me, might actually lead me to find some things of my past, that I wanted to know.

Like, how did Janet's family find me one night in winter, maybe around 23^F, and I didn't even have frostbite when I was only around 10 years old?. Or how come I was covered in blood as if there had been a fight, and I was in the middle of it?

"What if I find out my past?" I asked, finally.

Janet knocked on my head some. "I think you just said you might find your past, if you go into detention. Are you sure that you are feeling all right?"

I moved my head away from her, as she tried to do it again. "I didn't mean that, Janet," I replied. "I'm talking about this boy. Something... something about him makes me think that I've met him before..." I looked up at her, my blue eyes having the questions that always appeared in my head.

Janet sighed a little and nodded her head, frowning. Worry creased her brow, but she knew better than try and talk me out of whatever stupid idea I came up with. "I'll stick by you, then," she said. "If he doesn't have anything to do with your past, then I'm going to be the first to say 'I told you so'." A small innocent grin appeared on her face.

I grinned, nodding my head. "That'll work," I said. My body relaxed, and I knew that I had finally calmed down enough to go back to class. I cupped my hands, catching some and splashed my face with the water, that I had caught, loving the cool sensation it left on my skin.

"Ready?" Janet asked, punching me lightly in the arm. "You don't feel that cold, anymore."

I nodded my head. "Yes, I'm fine," I replied. "Come on, let's go before Ms. Brooks gives me another detention."

Janet grinned. "Come on, Princess, let's go back to class and sit through another of her boring lessons."

My face turned red, as she, again, called me Princess. "I'm not a Princess, stop calling me that," I said, as I ducked my head. "I'm not Princess material," I muttered.

"You are too. You just haven't realized it yet." She grabbed my arm and dragged me back to class, not letting me get another word out.

A small frown appeared on my face and question was in my eyes. Why did she think that I would be a Princess figure and I didn't? Will any of my questions be answered, or will I live in this amnesia state, forever, only remembering my first name?