The Encounter

"I have to go." Kaycee said, grabbing her bag.

"Good luck." Dylan said, giving her two thumbs up, as he rose to leave as well. "And I'm really sorry, Kayc."

"Don't be. None of this is your fault." She said, resting a friendly hand on his shoulder. He nodded.

" I hope you find him. I hope it works out." He wished her well.

"That makes two of us." She replied, giving him a weak smile. "I'll see you in rehearsals."

Kaycee hugged him, thankful to have found a friend despite the circumstances surrounding their friendship. Then she sprinted out of the café, mind going blank with panic.

She didn't know where to go, but her feet seemed to have a mind of their own, because they just kept going and going. Her mind could only think about finding Sean, so she kept trying to call him.

"The number you dialed cannot be reached."

Over and over, the same thing. But she had to try. She had to.

Her heart raced faster with every re-dial, but she did her best to remain composed. She refused to have a breakdown on the street.

He couldn't have gotten far. How could we not have seen him?

Kaycee knew it was futile to beat herself up over it, but couldn't help thinking about all the little mistakes that led up to all of this.

Before she knew it, her legs had led her to the front of their apartment building. She looked up, confused and defeated.

It's not like I have anywhere else to go. I don't know where he is.

She trudged up the stairs, feet and heart heavy with each step. Kaycee had began to lose hope.

When Sean left that note a few days ago, she thought he might almost be ready to come home. But after what he saw, and the fact that he wouldn't even let her explain, she was afraid that now he would never would.

Kaycee unlocked the front door and stepped through, trying her best to hold back her panic. But just as she quietly closed the front door, she stopped in her tracks.

His black Vans were on the shoe rack.

Eyes snapping up, she surveyed the room, keeping quiet and looking for signs of his presence.

Sean's bedroom door was open.

Kaycee soundlessly padded towards the open door, heart hammering hard in her chest. She prayed that he was there, but at the same time, was scared that he would be.

What do I say? What will he say?

Is he here to stay? Or will he leave again?

Please please stay with me.

As she neared the door, she saw him. Dressed in his signature black on black, Sean's back was to her, hair falling into his eyes. She couldn't see his face. But judging by the harsh way he stuffed his shirts into a duffel bag, he was furious.

He still hadn't seen her, nor felt her presence.

"Sean."

He froze at the sound of Kaycee's voice, then straightened up so fast as if lightning ran up his veins. He turned to her, eyes guarded and face schooled into cool indifference.

"Hey." He said, turning away just as quickly.

Kaycee felt like she could weep at the sound of his voice. Sure, he was cold and angry. But in that fraction of a second, she was just so happy to hear his voice again, to see him in front of her again.