Chapter One: The Worst Day of Your Life (So Far)

"Come on, damn you!" the frustrated voice screamed out into the darkness. The intermediate emergency light flooded the smoldering cabin with crimson light every few seconds. Offering Em'Dama precious moments to accurately rewire the still-smoking control console. The pilot, Jerrod, damaged it with his now mangled torso when the first impact struck their small vessel. The force was so great, that it threw the unsuspecting pilot violently around the small cabin. He never stood a chance.

Em'Dama was fortunate enough to of been resting in her bunk during the start of the chaos. Though, the initial blasts that rocked their vessel were enough to dislodge her from her shoulder-high bedding. Her injuries consisted of nothing more than a sprained wrist and an aching head. Others around her were not as fortunate.

A loud clicking noise filled the cabin as more emergency lighting slowly glimmered to life. The wiring had been blown apart when a coupling overloaded. Temporarily cutting off all power and navigation to the helm. Slowly, she lodged the plastic paneling back onto its housing. Taking great care to watch her head underneath the console. A knocking on the bulkhead distracted her from the delicate procedure.

"This better be important," she mumbled to herself as she pried the metal panel off the bulkhead. Em sighed as she stuck her arm nearly shoulder-deep into the wall. Her fingers fumbled as she blindly felt around within the bulkhead.

"Gotcha."

A loud, echoing click sounded as the door slid upwards with a grinding, metallic hiss. But unfortunately, due to the extensive damage their vessel received, the hatch lifted only about waist high.

"Em? Is that you? It's Nyez. Are you alright?"

An uncontrollable cough escaped from Em as she clutched desperately onto the dented bulkhead next to her. "Yes, yes... I'll be alright. The airs just not the best in here. How's everyone doing?"

"Six dead that I know of. Though, I can't reach engineering. Is Jerrod with you? How is he doing?" Nyez called out.

"He's dead. Died on impact." Em replied sternly.

"Oh," Nyez muttered. "Well, how is the Navigation console? Are we going to be able to get out of here?"

Em clutched onto the bulkhead as she crouched down below the jammed hatch. She met Nyez's sunken, worried gaze. A blood-stained bandage was hastily wrapped around his shaven head. His once colorful, and exceptionally-vibrant tattoos that covered his bald, ivory head were now stained crimson with his dried blood.

"I'm about to get Navigation online, I hope. Thankfully, the system doesn't look too bad underneath. I need you to find out what happened to Engineering. See if they're still alive down there. If I can't restore power to the forward controls and regain control over the main systems, we're going to have to abandon ship."

Nyez nodded silently. "I understand," he muttered as he stared blankly into the darkness that surrounded them.

"Hey, Nyez. It'll be alright. Just a few more steps to go."

"Right," Nyez responded as he quickly ran down into the dark corridor. Em watched as her frightened friend ventured once again into the unknown dangers that lurked throughout their crippled vessel.

Another loud groan escaped her as she stood back up. The pain in her knee had intensified recently. Nearly two years after having her knee-cap blown off by a farmer's one-shot, antique rifle. What had started off as a routine delivery to Lehemia, ended in a life-long injury that virtually crippled her for close to a year. Even her custom BioWeave, that had cost her nearly 6,200 Bars was shredded like paper mache.

Even for all their technological advancements, her suit contained a vital flaw - metallic projectiles.

Most colonized worlds, and the majority of the galactic community had long ago adopted the standardized usage of energy based weaponry. Lehemia, unfortunately, hadn't advanced as quickly technologically as most. Which is how Em managed to become completely and ignorantly susceptible to that farmer's ancient, one-shot rifle.