Chapter Fifteen

Nicole Steels, you are the best thing that's ever happened to me," he said as he got down on one knee. My heart raced and butterflies fill my stomach as he pulled a closed jewelry box out of his jacket pocket. We were just sitting there at the park when he told me he didn't want to fight with me and started all this talk about how much he loves me. Next thing I know, he's down on one knee and I'm frozen.

"Nikki...Will you marry me?" I open my mouth to speak but the words don't come out. I can see that he's starting to get nervous, so I better speak  up before he gets the wrong idea.

"Yes!" I fling my arms around him. "Yes I'll marry you, Jayden Holland!"

         I woke up in a cold sweat - I'm panting while sitting up in bed. Did I just have a dream...about Jay? I try to shake the thought out of my head and it's not hard because I feel an agonizing sharp pain in my stomach. I looked down only to see that I'm wearing one of those hospital gowns, and I'm hooked up to some machines. I became terrified and started breathing heavily when I realized, one, I'm not at home. Two, I'm in a hospital. Three, I feel like I'm dying. Four, my mother isn't here. And five, what in the world happened?!

"Nikki, you're awake," Jay said as he walked into the room.

"Jay, thank God you're here! What's going on?" I was so relieved to see a familiar face!

"Calm down," Jay said as he sat on the edge of the bed. "Ken switched personalities and stabbed you. You passed out and the doctor says it seems like you haven't eaten - that's probably why." My breathing calmed as I took in everything Jay told me. 

"Where's Ken?" I asked, worried that the police got involved.

"In the gift shop." I nodded my head as a doctor walked in.

"Nicole, you're awake!" he started, walking towards my bed. "Now don't be alarmed - you lost a lot of blood but we've patched you up, and your blood is actually quite rare."

"Is something wrong? Am I dying?" I asked in a panic.

"No, no! Luckily, someone with your blood type stepped up to the plate and donated."

"But, who-" I looked up at Jay who smiled at  he held his wrist up. It had a band - aid across it. "Thanks Jay." I smiled and gave him a hug.

"No problem."

"Now," the doctor said. "I'm going to call your mother. I'll be back in a few." He placed his clipboard down and walked out the room.

"Jay?" I asked.

"Hm?"

"Why'd you do it? Why'd you donate blood to me? I kinda thought you hated me..." I admitted.

"You thought I hated you?"

"Yes...I mean, I wouldn't talk to you and you deserve an explanation." I winced as pain in my stomach kicked in.

"Nikki, it's OK. Right now you need to relax."

"No Jay, right now I need to explain myself. When I saw you and Hayden together, I felt horrible. I was so angry, upset and hurt because I really liked you, and I thought you liked me too."

 Jay stayed silent for a while, then spoke. "I did like you Nikki, and I still do. That day, Hayden had come over and wanted to hang out since she missed the formal...We were just talking, and she leaned in, but I backed away and told her I really liked her but I liked you..."

"Then why are you dating her?" I chimed.

"I'm not - not anymore, anyway. I found her crying in school and she told me she had just found out she was adopted, plus all her so called friends left her. She has no one."

"Oh...Why'd you break up?"

"Because I like you, and she knows it."

"I - I'm sorry...I took it too far when I talked to her on the phone that day."

"No, it's not that. She was just jealous because she thought you were with me, but she was already calling to break up with me. And I took it too far with the kiss - Ken loves you, and I knew it." I was about to respond when Ken walked in.

"Nikki!" he yelled running over to me. Jay half smiled and got up so Ken could sit next to me. 

"Hey Ken. Jay told me what happened."

"Oh. I'm so sorry love," he said putting a bouquet of flowers, chocolate and a stuffed teddy bear on the side table.

"Ken, isn't that a bit much?" I asked.

"No! It's not enough. I'm glad your alive, but I need treatment. I have to get better if it means you'll be OK."

"Ken..."

"No Nikki, I love you and I'm gonna get help." I looked up and saw Jay looking down at his feet. He looked like his heart shattered into a million pieces.

"Well," Jay started. "My parents are getting ready to go, so I better go help. Get well soon Nikki."

"Wait," Ken called. "I have to see my doctor and my therapist later. In about two hours can you come back and stay with Nikki?"

   Jay smiled and said, "sure."

"No Jay, it really isn't necessary. I can stay alone."

"No," Jay started. "I'll be here, and I'll pick up Max too. I'm sure he'll want to know what's going on."

"OK...Thanks guys, you're wonderful friends," I said. Ken's expression showed sadness over what I said-ffriends. Just friends. As Jay left, I figured, it's now or never. "K - Ken?"

"Yes?" I winced once again as I felt the sharp pain. "Are you alright?"

"I'm fine! I just have to tell you something..."

"What is it?" Ken asked with concern.

"I -"

"Well!" the doctor said as he walked in. Great! "I called your mom. She's not going to be able to come. Either way, you'll be in here for about a week."

"OK," I said as I waited to see what he'd say next.

"You're going to need stitches, OK?"

"Y - yes..." I tried to accept the fact.

"Back in five," the doc said as he walked back out the room.

"What's yah wanna say?" Ken said as he leaned back so he was almost laying next to me.

"I love you." Ken seemed to have frozen. No words came out his mouth and he stared only ahead of him. He finally made an action that caught me off guard.