What We Do In The Shadows: "Jen..." Part XVI...

Start from the beginning

"Jen?" staring at the younger woman smiling at her in rather filthy old shirt and jeans...Holding bag with Windex and salt and some rags.

"Hey, Gin!" happy beam, setting down bag.. "Come on in!" she pulls the woman in, closing door. "You're early, they'll be pleased. Forgive the mess, I've been crawling all over the place."

"Yeah...I see. Well, you're always a go-getter, Jen." nod. "I just hope they don't stand much on ceremony..." eyeing her ruefully.

"A little but not that kind..." smile. "They're British...Well, Mas...Mr. Cravensworth is. And his wife and Mr. Relentless are European. Say, they appreciate your coming a day early."

"Really...Oh, no prob..." Ginny, looking about and setting down her sachel. "Are they here yet? I was hoping to go over things with you first."

"They can't be with us till 5:30..." Jen notes. "What did you want to go over?"

"Well...This is quite a deal, Jen. The biggest of the year if it goes through. I want to be sure we've got our best game going here, even if this is preliminary."

"I'm sure we've got it in the bag." Jen nods. "They're very anxious to do this."

"Great. But a deal like this is complicated..." Ginny points out. "Is there somewhere...?"

"The living room's in here..." Jen leads her.

"Great..." Uh...She looks around. "It looks like the first thing this place will need is a good cleaning...And why are those windows boarded? Is this place abandoned?"

"No, the Cravensworths live here, more or less..." Jen shakes head. "You can put the stuff on that table and have a seat. Want something to drink? We have lots of stuff in the kitchen."

"Really at home here, eh?" smile. "Well, you always know how to get in with the clients and go the distance." nod, taking seat. Hmmn... "Do they keep a dog or cat or something? I smell something..."

"We'll have it completely fumigated." Jen nods. "So...? Drink?"

"Bottled water if they have it..."

"Coming up. Gui keeps plenty."

"Gui?"

"Their caretaker, very nice kid...He's out back."

"I think a place like this needs more than one...Jesus!" Ginny jumps a bit as the Baron's familiar enters the living room from the hallway, eyeing her icily.

"Oh, this is a servant of the Cravensworths' friend and guest, Baron Afanas." Jen intros...The familiar nodding stiffly. "He's visiting and she takes care of him as he's rather elderly."

"You are this woman's human superior?" the familiar eyes Ginny sternly.

"Uh...Yeah..." Blinking...

"She is very capable and dutiful." solemn tone.

"Thanks..." to the retreating form...

"Thanks, ma'am!" Jen calls after her. "Back in a sec, Gin. I need to leave this bag with Gui and I'll get your water."

"Sure..." Ginny nods, sitting with a bit of anxiety... "Hurry back.", looking after Jen leaving from exit to kitchen area.

"Hello." Colin in sweater smiles from the doorway the Baron's familiar had departed.

"I'm Colin Robinson. You must be Ginny Zeller, owner of Zeller Properties with over 5 million dollars in new sales this quarter and the largest residential stock on Staten Island."

"You do your homework." Ginny agrees, rising to offer hand.

"It's on your website. You know most people fail to read the details. Best not to shake just yet. I tend to shock people...Static electricity from my sweater." thin smile.