Animal Eyes

Iverson growled at the cadets lined up in front of him. "Hope you all like it in the simulator! You can thank Pilot Fancypants over there for the privilege of spending the next three weekends in here running drills!"

All of the cadets groaned in unison, and one of them, one of Keith's old classmates, turned to him.

"Thanks a lot," he spat.

Keith kept his face calm and collected. He'd had a lot of practice. "My pleasure."

The other cadet- James, that was his name, James Griffin, he'd been in Keith's class before, but they hadn't been friends- glared. "We all know the only reason you're here is because of Shiro."

Keith felt the traces of annoyance and injured pride flare up as tiny embers in his belly, and he struggled to keep it under control. "I can outfly anyone in this building!

James only sneered. "Oh, yeah? Is that what Mommy and Daddy told you before—"

Keith leapt at James, knocking the other boy over effortlessly and slamming his small fist into James' face, rage flowing through him. James didn't have the right to talk about his dad. James definitely didn't have the right to mention his stupid- deadbeat- mother. James struggled, but Keith had the upper hand. At least he did until an officer dragged him off, still struggling.

"Hey! Hey, break it up!"

Keith glared at the wall as they dragged him off towards Iverson's office.He sat outside next to Griffin, who watched him warily as Iverson talked to Shiro in a low, but not low enough voice. Shiro's voice comes after- his military, "yes sir" voice.

"Understood. I'll handle it."

Shiro came out, and Griffin went into the office, scooting as fast as he could away from Keith. Keith kicked the ground.

"Look, I know I messed up. You should send me back to the home already. This place isn't for me." It hurt so bad to say that- he wants to be a pilot, wants to fly, like Shiro, but he can't conform to all of the strict discipline of the Garrison. He just... can't.

Shiro's mouth was set in a hard line, but not an angry line. More... determined. "Keith, you can do this. I will never give up on you. But more importantly... you can't give up on yourself."

Keith stared at the floor bitterly, rubbing his bruised jaw, hurt in the fight. "You don't know me."

Shiro shrugged. "You're right. I don't." Keith blinked in surprise. Most adults would try to assure him that they did- that they could help him. But not Shiro. Shiro gave him a smile. "But sometimes, we all need a hand." He held his out.

Keith took it.

Neither of them could know what was going on in Iverson's office.

Xxx

"Sir, his eyes- they- there was something wrong with him, and sir—"

"Calm down, cadet," Iverson ordered James, "Slow down."

James took a deep breath. "Sir, when Cadet Kogane jumped on me- his irises and pupils turned into slits, and I swear that the whites of his eyes were yellow. And his teeth- sir, his teeth were all pointy." James shuddered. "It was like a nightmare. He looked like a demon, sir. It- it wasn't natural."

"You've got an overactive imagination, Cadet."

"Sir, I swear I'm telling the truth. I saw it."

"You need to get your head checked out by the nurse. Kogane hit you pretty hard."

"Sir, I'm not concussed! His eyes were yellow!"