Chapter 12

The border was marked by a wide, rapidly flowing river. There were no bridges, but people did occasionally cross it to travel or to trade. Small towns had cropped up around the more crossable sections of the river. They reached the river shortly before noon and walked along its grassy bank until they could see some houses on the other side. There was a tall post on their side tied to a thick rope that stretched across the water. Mitch blew on the horn that hung from the pole. After a few minutes, a large raft started across from the other side. It stopped several feet short of their shore.

"Who are you who seek passage?" the large man controlling the raft called loudly.

"We are the King's men." Tristan yelled back.

"Do you have gold?"

"No, we have furs." Tristan held up a beautiful, fluffy rabbit skin.

"Three like that for all of you and the horse," the man yelled.

Tristan nodded.

The man pulled up to the shore. Tristan handed him the furs. Although the raft looked sturdy enough, Owen wanted to test it before Tristan attempted to cross. He directed eight of the soldiers to climb onto the raft first while the rest stayed behind. The current tried hard to push the raft off course, but the ropes held firm. The men made it to the other side and the raft returned. The remaining soldiers tried to load the horse but he wouldn't step onto the raft. They finally gave up and let him swim across behind it. After everyone else was on, Tristan stepped on, Rabiah and Owen right behind him.

"That one doesn't look like a King's man," the raft owner said, eyeing Rabiah speculatively.

"She's not."

"Where did you find her? I've never seen a Clanswoman with eyes that color."

"Battlefield," Tristan said.

"How much do you want for her?"

"She's not for sale."

"Them guards on the shore won't care. They charge double in tolls for livestock. I can help you out. I'll take her around the outskirts of town and meet you on the other side in a couple of hours."

"Thanks, but I think we can manage," Tristan said politely, keeping himself between Rabiah and the man.

The man shrugged and went back to pulling the raft across. They landed with a bump. The soldiers in front of them jumped off, their exuberant faces revealing how excited they were to be back in their own country.

Tristan stepped off the raft, then turned and offered his hand to Rabiah, 'Welcome to Arles.'

His grin sent a tender feeling coursing through her chest and calmed her trepidation at stepping onto Arlenian soil. They walked hand-in-hand past and ahead of the rest of their traveling companions to speak with the group of guards who had come down to the shore and formed a rough line between them and the rest of the town. Tristan stopped before a sturdy, well-whiskered guard.

"Greetings, Sergeant."

"Greetings. Who are you and what is your business in Arles?"

"I am Prince Tristan, this is my wife, the Princess Rabiah, and these are soldiers of Arles on our way home to Auroria."

"And where is your army Prince Tristan?"

"We got separated."

"It seems unlikely that the army would leave the prince behind."

"They thought I was dead."

"And this so-called princess. She looks like a Clanswoman to me."

"She is - or was. She's a citizen of Arles now."