FORTY THREE

"Unwelcome to Hogwarts"

July 1981, 2 years later

Hard boots struck the damp earth, causing an uproar among the dead grass and soft mud. Two pairs of feet stood on the edge of the black river, watching as the top of the lake shimmered in the sunlight and allowed the odd mermaid to bask near the surface. In the distance, the tentacles of the giant squid could be seen breaking above the surface as the gamekeeper stood knee-deep in the water with an armful of food. The sight would have been peaceful on any other calm summer day... but this day was not calm.

There was urgent business to be attended at the demands of the Dark Lord himself, business which benefited him greatly. And as Serenity made her way to the docks, a sense of nostalgia washed over her. She pursed her lips and glanced back at Juliet, helplessly reminiscing on simpler times- when they had ridden in these boats together.

Reaching the end of the docks, Serenity knelt down beside the farthest boat and reached out her leather-wrapped hand. Resting her palm against the enchanted wood, she felt the curse cast to ward off any unwanted visitors course through her. Rather than throwing her back like it was intended to, Serenity remained where she sat. Pushing her own magic into the small boat, she allowed it to mingle with the curse and make it possible for them to cross the lake safely. As the resistance within her diminished, she let go and turned to her accomplice. Juliet grinned.

"Is it done?" Nodding, Serenity steps down into the boat, diverting her attention away from her. "Nice one, Ren," Juliet complimented as she sat down.

Serenity removed her glove and plunged her pale hand into the humming waters, as she remained leaning over the edge she willed the water to move them faster. Waves tumbled around them, rocking the boat sideways before a wave lifted them gently and carried them a fair distance. Juliet, relaxing across two benches, pouted at Serenity's back.

"Why won't you talk to me?" Serenity glanced over her shoulder, narrowing her eyes at her. There was a knowing look in her gaze, one that told Juliet everything she already knew. Sighing, Juliet threw her head back, the action knocking her fringe into her right eye. "How many times do I have to apologise? We were in hiding! I shouldn't even be here now, the ministry will be on my back the minute they find me."

Neither woman had acknowledged the dimly lit castle looming above them. It held few inhabitants due to the children and staff being on their summer holidays. This was why the Dark Lord had chosen today for them to sort his business- Albus Dumbledore would be unguarded.

It was an advantage for Voldemort, to have Serenity bear the mark of the Death Eaters. That mark meant she- and her powers- belonged to him and were ready at his command. Of course, he could happily use her aunt in her position, should she die, but it was established from a young age that Serenity may well be the most powerful witch of her age- if not alive. And she had proven countless times she could overpower the magical guards around Hogwarts.

Serenity Rier was not destined to be an Auror, no, she was destined for glory, for fame and domination. On the wrong side, she could be fatal... she could be the end of the wizarding world and she knew that well enough.

While the small boat drifted back to the other side of the lake, Serenity glanced up the wide staircase.

"You know Lucius and I could've hidden you. Yet you hid from us for eight years, you got married, Jules!" She sucked in her breath, before lowering her voice so that no one heard. "I'm just saying, an invite would have been nice, or if you told me rather than the Daily Prophet. We were meant to be friends."

Juliet bit her lip, for a moment she looked guilty. Only a moment. She turned on her heels and began taking the steps two at a time, more determined than ever to complete their task. Serenity sighed and followed.