CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE | BURYING THE HATCHET

AHOTE

     When I agreed to keep the baby, I didn't want to dwell on it too much. I had tried to convince myself that it wasn't a big deal, that I was just pregnant, and I didn't have to act differently. Things didn't go as planned. I couldn't help it. Randomly spacing out thinking about what the child might look like and touching the outline of my still flat stomach when I was alone was starting to be a pass time. No one could smell the little one yet, of course. It was still too early for anyone else to tell.

     Alek didn't help my plan of trying not to make a big deal out of things. He kept asking to touch me and would ramble about things he read up about pregnancy as we laid in bed together. I remember the first time I felt a pull in me that confirmed that I was indeed pregnant. Alek and I had just hugged in silent for a while, unwilling to make a big deal out of it yet because we still weren't one hundred percent sure I would go through with things.

     "I'm not pressuring you. It's your choice. It's whatever you want," Alek had reassured me while holding my hands on a night I had a mini-breakdown about the prospect of having the child.

     As scary as the pregnancy was, I still felt a lot calmer than I had thought I would be. I didn't hate myself, quite the opposite really. I was excited. Most of my stress was centered around having to tell the people I cared about. A part of me knew my brother would be pleased, but I was still nervous. Aside from that, I got a mini headache just from thinking about telling Kaya or Aponi.

     A sigh left my lips as I slouched forward and buried my face in my hands. I was sitting on a stool by the kitchen island. The midafternoon weather meant most people were outside in the sun or taking a walk by the river.

     "What are you thinking about?" I stiffened at the sound of Honon's voice before turning to face the door to the kitchen. The man had wandered in while I was lost in thought, and he was currently leaning on the wall with his hands in his pocket.

     "It's not your business," I replied, watching Honon sigh before running his fingers through his hair. He looked frustrated. The dark circles that were forming under his eyes complimented the frown that he seemed to have been wearing permanently for the past few days. He was wearing a pair of jeans and a loose white t-shirt. The way he dressed said a lot about his removal from the pack. He didn't look like any of us anymore, and anytime I saw him the thought would cross my mind. He should be down south in Toronto, not here.