The Day After

Kaycee was woken up by the harsh morning light pouring in from the open windows. She groaned and rolled over, savoring the last spots of cold on the bed sheets.

Slowly she came to her senses, registering things one by one – the smell of pancakes, something sizzling in a pan, several girls giggling, clattering of plates.

Remembering that she had guests, Kaycee forced herself up.

"Morning, sunshine." Charlize greeted, a smirk in her voice. Kaycee groaned in response as she slowly padded into the kitchen, eyes only half open. She could barely see anything, her eyelids still resisting against the daylight. She extended her hands in front of her, feeling for any roadblocks and obstacles.

Kaycee instinctively walked around the kitchen counter, passing her friends, only to be stopped by something solid pressed against her palms.

She ran her hand over it, feeling familiar shoulders and a strong heartbeat. Sean.

"Coffee." He said simply, removing one of her hands from his chest to press a warm mug into it.

"You're the best." She murmured, letting the steam warm her face.

He chuckled, the sound reverberating from his chest to her palm. "You say that everyday."

"You're the best everyday." Kaycee replied. Eyes still closed, she smiled at him. She let Sean gently lead her, his hands on her hips, to lean against the counter top. Once she was settled, he let go and went...well, wherever he went. She couldn't really see.

Kaycee stood against the counter top, breathing in the coffee and letting the caffeine flow from her lips to her veins. Around her, she could hear her friends conversing with Sean, but she was still a little groggy to register their words.

Finally, after a few more gulps, Kaycee's eyes cracked open fully. Tahani, Charlize, and Chloe were seated at the kitchen table, plates piled with food.

"Morning, guys." She said, voice cracking from lack of use.

"You're finally awake-awake." Chloe joked. "You really can sleep like the dead."

"I forgot how cranky you get in the morning," Tahani teased. "How does Sean stand you before 10 am?"

"Coffee and silence." He replied.

Kaycee turned to glare at him, doing her best to look intimidating. This only made Sean laugh harder, as he prepared her a plate of food.

"Okay, okay. Don't bite my head off." He pacified her, handing her the plate. When he turned to face her fully, Kaycee's eyes landed on a purple bruise on his neck.

The world stopped, and last night came crashing down on her like a hailstorm.

"Who the hell is Dylan?"

"He's just a friend." 

"You seem to like being just friends a lot, Kayc."

Sean coming home drunk with another girl's mark on his skin and lipstick on his shirt.

"The same reason I don't want you going on that date."

"I don't like that another girl kissed you like this."

His breath on her lips.

"No, not like this."

Suddenly, Kaycee wasn't so hungry anymore. She handed the plate back to Sean, unable to meet his eyes, fighting the bile rising up her throat.

"What-"

"I'm not hungry. I need to take a shower now. We have rehearsals today." She hurriedly said, rushing to the bathroom.