War. Nobody really wins

Warning: Some gore I guess? It's a war people bleed

Shikamaru knew what to expect of a war before actually going to one. His father had made him go over document after document relating to previous wars. He had to pick and choose strategies for the best outcome. War was violent, emotional, sometimes people lost sight of why they were fighting, people die.

He knew all of that but what he didn't know was how the air would reek of blood and ash, the screams that echoed every so often, the chaotic mess that would be war. Knowing about war was not the same as experiencing that, it was sobering. He turned to his team, all looking over the battlefield like he did.

He positioned them just outside the range of the best sensor so that they could make their entrance. It had to be big, bold and draw attention to them. It was to draw the attention of the enemies to hopefully keep them away from when my team would enter the village. It was also to alert the allies of their arrival, so they could group together, strength in numbers and all that jazz.

"They said make an entrance right? Might as well do some damage in the process." His lips curled into a smirk, it wasn't a happy one but it was there. He handed each person on his squad an explosive tag, it was one Naruto and he had worked on for weeks. The explosions were massive, bigger than a regular tag but not only that, the fire and smoke the explosions let off were colored brightly. Perfect for doing damage and drawing attention to themselves.

A tag like this was cocky, it was meant to anger the enemies making whoever uses it seem like they think so little of their proponents they would set off a location marker. It was pompous and effective against the fragile ego of Shinobi, especially those who feel like they have to fight to prove their worth.

"Yosh, let the skies light up in a youthful array of color!" Spaced far enough apart, each member of his platoon threw the kunai with their tag out into the open. The explosions went off, lighting up the frigid air with heat and color, destroying the ground in loud bang. Not a minute later, ninja of all caliber descended on their position.

They moved like Zombies, snarling at the arrival of more Konoha ninja, shouting that they were bastards and the like. With one nod, both teams went off fighting the ninja who never seemed to keep coming. Like the enemies came, their comrades in arms came as well.

Shikamaru, Ino, and Choji fought together, working like the perfectly suited team they were. Choji had his first official kill almost too soon in the war. Ino had moved to heal one of their allies when she was attacked, Choji defended her, killing the man with his brute strength. The kindhearted boy puked, his heart clenching at taking a life.

It didn't matter, he had no time to grieve because he had to keep fighting. Shikamaru wanted to say something but he couldn't, not yet. He had to compartmentalize, push away the feeling of dread with each life taken. He was a ninja, he was trained to kill.

Neji and lee were like oil and water, one used the strong fist and the other the gentle fist and yet they were perfect to fight together. Combining their close combat with the skill and agility of Tenten, they took down enemies close and far. Lee shook when he killed but his resolve, his reason for fighting for his village outweighed his guilt.

Tenten attacked with a fierce strength, anytime a weapon was sent to her or her comrades, she had the perfect counter. This was her specialty, her excellence. She used any and every weapon perfectly and made the others using their weapons, especially the projectile kind, useless.

These ninja were fast, good but they were nothing compared to Gai-sensei. They had their numbers going for them. The only way to win was overwhelming Neji's team with sheer numbers and forcing them to run out of chakra, nothing else would make it possible.