Chapter 18: Turning Point

Karen:

I glanced at the man who doused himself into loads of papers on his desk. I felt stressed, my heart tightened by this situation. It's been three days since that night, the night he followed me back. Since that, he never said more than ten lines to me and it's all work related. I tried to have a conversation with him but he just changed the topic or avoid talking to me. I was restless and bothered but I didn't show any of it in front of him. I just stayed silent and do my secretarial work.

I stood up from my place and walked to him. "This is the proposals that you requested." I slid down the files onto his desk but the response that I got wasn't the one I expected.

"Hm, put it there." He said it nonchalantly.

I gripped the pen in my fist to remain calm. "Also, I've booked the hotel for your business meeting in Tucson for 3 days and the your favourite French restaurant for tonight at 7."

"Okay." Still ignoring me.

"Um Mr Knight?"

"Yes?" He didn't even looked up at me, he's more interested at what's inside his laptop.

"Oh..nothing." I sighed and turned around to go back to my seat but when I heard the sound of him standing up from his chair, I got excited I turned back at him.

"I'll be out for a meeting with clients." He grabbed his coat and immediately headed out leaving me standing there like a statue. The smile on my face slowly disappearing into utter surprised and embarassment. I thought-

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The chatters around were loud but it didn't disturb me at all as I stared blankly at my frozen yogurt, it's white. "Why are you here? Eating frozen yogurt and sandwich while we have tons of good lunch." Bree chewed on her pasta, she must be enjoying today's menu.

"My boss is busy so I could come here with you guys. Why you don't like it?" I raised my right eyebrow at her and she rolled her eyes at me.

"Of course I do, I just felt weird that's all."

I smiled and looked to her right. "Why are you here Vyron? I thought you hated us?" Vyron was sitting with us while silently eating his lunch. It's unexpected to see him earlier.

He smiled sarcastically at me, "hate is a strong word Smith." Then he continued to eat his pasta.

"I brought him, more like dragged." Bree interjected.

"Looks like you both bonded before." I smiled playfully at them. But the looks that Vyron gave me wasn't a good thing.

"Are you okay Smith?" He looked at me probably unsatisfied by my weird attitude. Of course, usually I would talk nonstop until he begged for me to stop.

"Yeah..I'm good." I flashed an empty smile but it really shows as Bree put down her fork and gave her all focus on me.

"Grumpy's right, you looked troubled by something." Vyron glanced at her then to me, then he also put down his fork like Bree.

I released a small sigh. "Nothing, the boss seems to be busy and moody these days."

"Maybe it's because of the company's business tender." Vyron tried to reason it out but then quirky Bree adds.