Chapter 6: Flashback

Exactly 4 years ago
8:30 AM
Sunday, January 11 2015
Seoul, South Korea

Third Person's POV

In a small apartment in Seoul, Irene stood by the window, her gaze fixed on the pouring rain outside. The newsman's warning echoed in her mind as she glanced back at her sick friend, Seulgi, lying in bed. Irene knew she had to leave for Daegu to visit her parents, but she also understood the seriousness of Seulgi's condition and the potential risks of her traveling in such weather.

Seulgi pleaded with Irene to let her come along, but Irene couldn't ignore the concern etched on her friend's face. "You're not well, Seulgi," Irene insisted, her tone tinged with worry. "It's too risky for you to travel in this weather, and besides, my parents wouldn't want you there."

Irene's mind drifted to her parents' shadowy past, a past she was all too familiar with. Their involvement in illegal activities had cast a dark cloud over her family, and Irene had grown accustomed to keeping her distance from their unsavory business dealings.

With a heavy heart, Irene tucked Seulgi into bed, promising to return soon. As she prepared to leave, a mixture of guilt and apprehension gnawed at her. She knew she had to confront her family's history eventually, but for now, her priority was ensuring Seulgi's well-being and safety.

"Babe I might not text or call you for 2 hours but I promise I'll chat with you if I'm in Daegu already."

"Okay Baby, Don't forget that okay? I love you so so much! How long will you leave again?"

"Maybe 5 days? I still have unfinished business there."

"Oh okay. If something happens, call me immediately. I love you."o

"I will Babe. Be safe, I love you too. Wait for me, babe."

As Irene stepped off the train in Daegu, she felt a sense of relief wash over her. However, her relief quickly turned to alarm as she noticed two figures approaching her. Before she could react, strong hands grabbed her, and a cloth was pressed over her mouth, sending her into darkness.

When Irene regained consciousness, she found herself in an unfamiliar location, her hands bound tightly behind her back. Panic surged through her veins as she tried to make sense of her surroundings. Before she stood two men she didn't recognize: Suho and Jackson.

10:40 AM

Sunday, January 11 2015
Seoul, South Korea

Seulgi's worry grew as the hours passed without any word from Irene. She tried to reassure herself, thinking Irene must be preoccupied with her family visit and unable to reach out. Yet, a nagging feeling of unease lingered, causing Seulgi's concern to deepen with each passing moment.

𝙈𝙮 𝙂𝙤𝙙𝙚𝙨𝙨, 𝙈𝙮 𝙒𝙞𝙛𝙚
𝘼𝙘𝙩𝙞𝙫𝙚 2 𝙝𝙤𝙪𝙧𝙨 𝙖𝙜𝙤

𝙈𝙮 𝙎𝙩𝙪𝙥𝙞𝙙 𝘽𝙚𝙖𝙧:
Hey babe! Did you arrive in Daegu? Or nah? Text me if you have the time. Saranghae❤👅.
*Sent 10:42 AM

𝙈𝙮 𝙎𝙩𝙪𝙥𝙞𝙙 𝘽𝙚𝙖𝙧:
Baby? It's been 1 hour since your trip? Are you still busy? Please text or call me anytime okay? I love you❤
*Sent 11:30 AM

𝙈𝙮 𝙎𝙩𝙪𝙥𝙞𝙙 𝘽𝙚𝙖𝙧:
Babe? Are you there? I miss you... I'm not being clingy but where are you???
Please text me or call me. I love you❤
*Sent 12:50 PM

𝙈𝙮 𝙎𝙩𝙪𝙥𝙞𝙙 𝘽𝙚𝙖𝙧:
Joohyunnie? Where are you? I'm getting really worried. Please text me asap.
*Sent 2:00 PM

𝙈𝙮 𝙎𝙩𝙪𝙥𝙞𝙙 𝘽𝙚𝙖𝙧:
Joohyun where are you? I'm worried sick. Text me or call me.
*Sent 5:30 PM

𝙈𝙮 𝙎𝙩𝙪𝙥𝙞𝙙 𝘽𝙚𝙖𝙧:
You leave me no choice Joohyun. I'm going to Daegu tomorrow whether you like it or not.
*Sent 7:17 PM

𝙈𝙮 𝙎𝙩𝙪𝙥𝙞𝙙 𝘽𝙚𝙖𝙧:
Are you seriously avoiding me? Tell me. Joohyun you know I'll understand you no matter what. Please. Just text me.
*Sent 9:20 PM

𝙈𝙮 𝙎𝙩𝙪𝙥𝙞𝙙 𝘽𝙚𝙖𝙧:
Joohyun... Are you breaking up with me? Tell me.
*Sent 11:11 PM
*Read 11:11 PM

𝙈𝙮 𝙂𝙤𝙙𝙚𝙨𝙨, 𝙈𝙮 𝙒𝙞𝙛𝙚:
Yes. Leave me alone. Gosh, you're so annoying. Text me one more time and I'll block you.

𝙈𝙮 𝙎𝙩𝙪𝙥𝙞𝙙 𝘽𝙚𝙖𝙧:
Why? Tell me Joohyun why?

𝙈𝙮 𝙂𝙤𝙙𝙚𝙨𝙨, 𝙈𝙮 𝙒𝙞𝙛𝙚:
Didn't I tell you to leave me alone? Don't you dare call me again. Bye.

𝙈𝙮 𝙎𝙩𝙪𝙥𝙞𝙙 𝘽𝙚𝙖𝙧:
Hey. Let's talk. I'm not giving up on you. I'm not giving up on us. We've reached this far yet you want to break up with me?
*Not Sent.

𝙈𝙮 𝙎𝙩𝙪𝙥𝙞𝙙 𝘽𝙚𝙖𝙧:
DON'T LEAVE ME HANGING BAE JOOHYUN.
*Not Sent.

𝙈𝙮 𝙎𝙩𝙪𝙥𝙞𝙙 𝘽𝙚𝙖𝙧:
Fuck it. I'm visiting Daegu tomorrow.
*Not Sent.

𝙈𝙮 𝙎𝙩𝙪𝙥𝙞𝙙 𝘽𝙚𝙖𝙧:
What the hell? Did you seriously block me?
*Not Sent.

𝙈𝙮 𝙎𝙩𝙪𝙥𝙞𝙙 𝘽𝙚𝙖𝙧:
No matter what happens I'm not leaving you . I love you still Joohyun. I always will.
*Not Sent

Call 𝙈𝙮 𝙂𝙤𝙙𝙚𝙨𝙨, 𝙈𝙮 𝙒𝙞𝙛𝙚?
YES NO

*Sorry this number cannot be reached. Please try again later.*

11:55 PM
Sunday, January 11 2015
Seoul, South Korea

Seulgi felt more and more frustrated when she couldn't get through to Irene. Her calls just kept saying Irene's number wasn't working. Remembering how upset she felt when Joohyun left, Seulgi got even angrier. She quickly packed her stuff, including her weapons, and decided to go find Irene, leaving her home behind.

It was midnight when Seulgi left, sneaking through the dark, quiet streets. Along the way, she called Joy, asking her to come along for support. Seulgi was determined to figure out what was going on, ready to face whatever challenges came her way

3:00 AM

Monday, January 12 2015

Daegu, South Korea

Seulgi and Joy finally arrived in Daegu and checked into a hotel since they had nowhere else to stay. Seulgi confided in Joy about her concerns regarding Irene, and Joy couldn't shake the feeling that something was off. Recalling that Joohyun's supposed husband lived in Daegu, Joy hesitated before revealing his name to Seulgi: Kim Jun-Myeon, also known as "Suho," the son of the city's second most notorious mafia boss.

As Joy disclosed Irene's past struggles with her family's disapproval of her bisexuality and her subsequent rebellion, Seulgi listened in shock. The image of Irene, whom Seulgi regarded as a goddess, as a rebellious runaway was difficult for her to grasp. Despite the revelations, exhaustion eventually overcame them both, and they drifted off to sleep.

However, their rest was abruptly interrupted by a loud ringing phone. As they stirred awake, the tension in the air was palpable, and they listened intently to the ominous sound, awaiting what would come next.

"WHERE IS MY DAUGHTER YOU FUCKING BASTARD?"