Alarm

Michael's Point Of View

I groaned slightly as my eyes fluttered open. At first, everything was slightly blurred and dark. My eyes scanned the dark bedroom, gaze falling on the light coming from the dim nightlight. It gave the room a soft, romantic golden glow. I sighed before turning my attention to my lady. A small smile formed on my face as her head rested on my chest. She looked so beautiful and peaceful. I lifted my hand to run it through her hair, immediately flinching when I felt dampness.

"Mm, baby," I mumbled, gently scooping her head up before placing it on the pillow, "are you sweating?"

As I removed my hands from underneath her head, I felt the moisture on my palms. With furrowed brows, I sat up completely. Looking her up and down, it didn't take me long to notice the thin layer of sweat gleaming on her face, neck, and arms. I placed my palm on her forehead and my heart jumped. She was boiling.

"Y/N, oh my God," I whispered, reaching down to gently shake her shoulders, "Wake up, baby. You have a temperature."

When she didn't move, I began to fill with alarm. I reached up and cupped her warm cheeks. "Y/N? Please, baby. I need you to get up. You're way too warm right now."

She didn't so much as move. My breath hitched. My mind told me to stay calm, but I knew I would do just the opposite. Acting quickly, I stood up and pounded my hand on the hotel wall.

"Bill!" I called, "Bill!"

He was in the room adjacent to us, so I knew my frantic noise would wake him up.

I crouched over the bed and scooped Y/N into my arms, holding her bridal style. As soon as I lifted her, I could see a large, wet spot on the bed, clearly the spot where she'd been sleeping. I heard Bill bust through the door and pound up the staircase.

"J-Joker! What is it?" He asked frantically.

My voice quivered as I spoke, "Call an ambulance. Y/N isn't—

She squirmed slightly, moaning in the smallest voice. My eyes widened as I looked down at her.

"Baby? Baby, talk to me."

She just moaned again, sounding completely miserable. Then, I realized that I'd been standing in one place while she continued to suffer in her own heat.
I gasped and turned to Bill.

"Run a cold bath for her! She's extremely overheated!"

He nodded and took off for the bathroom. I ran behind him, keeping my baby close to my chest. We both entered the bathroom and I immediately set Y/N on the toilet. As soon as I released her, she nearly fell forward. I gasped and grabbed her, wrapping my arms around her chest before gently pushing her back. Once I was sure she was settled back against the toilet, I slowly released her.

The washcloths were hanging on the towel rack. I quickly snatched one and turned on the faucet.

She moaned again, making me turn around. "Oh baby, I know."

I held the cloth underneath the cold water for about ten seconds before turning the water off.

"How did this happen?" Bill asked, holding his hand underneath the water to test the temperature.