XXVI.

"What's the meaning behind this?"

The reader's eyes widened in fear as they frantically shifted between our angered expressions.

"I.....uhh....." His voice quivered.

Isen's hand caught his wrist in an iron grip as he leaned closer to him.

"You heard her. Explain yourself!" He shouted.

"A-ah, i'm just as surprised as you are! My boss gave me these prizes to hand out! I didn't know there were chips implanted in them!" The reader stumbled over his words, his arm shaking violently under Isen's firm grip.

His aura overlapped Isen and Blyke's chagrin fueled auras. A sense of frenetical anxiety and fear seeped into my body as I moved closer to him.

"You're not the only 'reader' here. Part of my abilities is to perceive auras. And I know a liar when I feel one." My crimson eyes began to glow brighter as I peered down at him.

"Hmph. Nice try." Isen smirked and tightened his grip, earning a yelp of pain of from the reader. "Your pulse is irregular."

Paf!

Suddenly a cloud of thick smoke engulfed our vicinity, a frenzy of coughs momentarily catching us off guard.

Crap! He got away!

I twisted my fingers as wisps of red rounded the smoke into a small tornado, raising it higher and higher until it completely dissipated into the air.

"He's gone..!" Remi wildly whirled her head around desperately.

"Isen!" I barked. "You got a lock on him earlier, right?"

His eyes searched around before focusing on a moving stimulus through the wall.

"Quick! He's heading towards the exit!"

We took off in a sprint under Isen's directions as Blyke blew the wall open with his energy beams, providing a quicker route to the exit.

We stopped momentarily before Isen pointed to an orange motorcycle peeling out at the edge of the parking lot.

"There's no driver...?!?!" Blyke shouted as we caught our breath, his eyes bugging at the self driving cycle.

"He's gotta be invisible or something..!" Remi yelled.

"I bet he has an accomplice," I added darkly.

I narrowed my eyes and curled my fists, a trail of crimson tagging closely behind me as I impulsively lunged through the middle of the parking lot.

"Delta, watch out...!"

I whirled my head and widened my eyes at a truck going full speed in my direction. I froze like a deer in the headlights and squeezed my eyes shut before a screech of metal exploded my ear drums.

Tentatively, I peeked out of my closed eyes and saw Isen's body outlined in a bright orange, with the hood of the truck crumpled like a piece of paper beneath his fingers.

"Phew." He exhaled before looking at me. "Delta! Are you okay?!" He shouted.

"Y-yeah..." I said and looked down at my shaking palms before curling them in agitation.

You idiot, I thought to myself. How can you be so reckless...? (Why am I shaking?)

"Del....?!" Blyke anxiously looking down from the bed of the truck.

"I'm.....i'm fine...." I replied.

He nodded reluctantly and shouted.

"Remi, i'll back you up!"

I focused my eyes on Remi, using her lightning speed in attempt to catch the motorcycle. I used my psionic speed to break into a sprint.

Dammit, I thought curtly. They're getting away!

"Grr...!"

A dense ball of crimson began to grow larger in the palm of my hand before I slammed it into the asphalt. Violent tremors shook the blacktop as thick cracks appeared, etched on the surface in a jagged line to block the path of where the motorcycle was going.

The motorcycle screeched to a halt as the cracked asphalt prevented them from progressing any further on their escapade. I smirked in satisfaction.

Good, it worked.

But I spoke too soon.

A mother and her child clutched each other in terror as an incoming car swerved to avoid the cracked asphalt in his path, driving full speed in the direction towards the civilians.

Instantaneously, I leapt in front of them and created a barrier around us, my nose trickling blood as I reinforced the strength of the shield with all my might.

They were safe-but it didn't mean I couldn't feel the impact.

"G-ghk...!"

The car broke through the front of the shield and curled at the hood beneath my fingers. I slid backwards as I dug my feet deeper into the ground to prevent the car from moving any further.

My body crumpled to the floor, gasping for air in haste as I spat blood onto the blacktop.

My shield wasn't strong enough.....to withhold that amount of force....?

"Delta!" I heard Blyke cry, followed by his incoming footsteps.

"Miss....are you okay?" The mother cried frantically as she attempted to help me up.

"Ma'am, get you and your child out of here...! It's not safe...!" Blyke ordered and hurried them away before focusing his attention on me. "Del, are you okay...??"

"G-gh-!"

My eyes bulged. I couldn't speak.

He slung my arm around his shoulders. It felt like daggers were painfully digging into my ribcage all at once, immobilizing my ability to use my voice. I coughed up more blood.

"Stop right there!"

Multiple law enforcement officers surrounded us with glowing eyes.

"Thank god you came," Blyke said and took a step forward. "My friend took the brunt of a car crash and she needs serious medical-"

"Get down on the ground, now!" They shouted and closed in on us.

"Huh? No!" Blyke shouted as they tackled him to the floor, placing power-suppressive handcuffs on both of us. "You've got the wrong people...!"

"Shut up, kid," the law enforcer said as she yanked both of us up.

"You and your friends have alot to answer for." :;