Promises

A group of four people stood on a near by hill and watched as Jacob and the Deputy battled it out for the very last time. If Jacob died, then Whitetail Mountains was going to be back to normal but if the Deputy died, well then everyone in Hope County was screwed. One of the girls watched through her binoculars, explaining every detail to her friends. She saw Jacob sitting on a rock, talking to the Deputy. It looked like he had been defeated but not actually dead.

That was the queue for the group of four young people, to get off the hill and get closer to the battlefield. They peaked through the bushes they hid in and saw the Deputy grab a key from Jacob's necklace, before running off and leaving Jacob to die on the rock.

"Emma. What do we do? We can't just leave him there to die?" One of the young boys asked.

Emma looked at each of her friends before making a decision that probably could have been a bad one. "We'll take him to my bunker and I'll do my best to look after him".

The group all emerged from the bushes and circled around Jacob. He looked up at them, eyeing each of them off before looking at Emma. She approached him cautiously and looked at his wound, examining the damage.

"Doesn't look too good but still manageable. Dan, go get the car. Sam give me the medkit" Emma started shouting out orders to each of her friends. "I have to stop the bleeding first, then we will take him to the bunker and get the wound patched up".

Emma looked up at Jacob and smiled when they came eye to eye. "Don't worry. We'll save you".

Jacob ended up blacking out.

-

It was night time, Emma was alone in the bunker with the sleeping soldier. She occasionally checked up on Jacob and his wound but was satisfied that her handy patch up work, was successful. Jacob slowly opened his eyes, examining the room he was in and forgetting about his fresh wound. He tried sitting up and that's when he remembered the wound, when it stung like hell. He let out a loud hiss and laid back down.

"Hey. Wow. You're finally awake. Yay I didn't kill you" Emma joked and clapped her hands with joy, seeing Jacob awake.

"Where am I?" Jacob asked.

"Wow. Your voice really is sexy" she said, not realising that Jacob looked up at her like she was some sort of weirdo. "I mean, you're in my bunker. Away from the outside world for the moment".

"And How is the outside world exactly?" Jacob growled through the pain as he tried getting comfortable.

"I'm guessing you mean the Deputy?" Emma asked as she kneeled down next to the couch that Jacob laid on and checked up on his wound. "Well she made a huge mistake going to Holland Valley. Everyone thinks you're dead and the moment she stepped foot in John's region. Boom. She was dead on the spot".

"John killed the Deputy?" Jacob's eyes opened wide.

"No. I killed her" Emma looked up at Jacob and smirked.

Jacob seemed a little confused, his face expression was making it obvious. "Who the hell are you? And why did you kill the Deputy?".

Emma looked down at her hands, then back up at Jacob. "She killed my dad. Bill Simpson. People use to call him "Billy Willy".

"Ahh yes" the nickname was familiar to Jacob. "One of my best soldiers. He never mentioned that he had a daughter".

"Yeah, it was to protect me. Once the Deputy arrived and this war started, he wanted to keep me safe but then she killed my dad and I came out of hiding to get revenge" Emma explained to Jacob.

"Why are you doing this for me? Don't you know who I am?" Jacob asked curiously.

"Pfft of course I know who you are. Jacob Seed. My dad always talked about you and how awesome you were. I didn't know he was one of your soldiers though?"

"Well he was. One of the best as well. You didn't answer my first question" Jacob reminded her.

"I want to take care of you" Emma responded, shrugging her shoulders. "My dad warned me about the Deputy wanting to kill you and your siblings. He left me a note, telling me to fight alongside you. So when I heard that you and the Deputy were going into the final battle, me and my friends watched from a nearby hill. That's when we rescued you and bought you here. I promised my dad and I did it".

"Thanks kid" Jacob smirked, then turned his head and looked up at the roof.

"Umm...yeah...sure. You're welcome" Emma was disappointed that Jacob didn't show much appreciation and stood up. Jacob heard the disappointment in her voice and looked straight back at her. They came eye to eye and Emma smiled slightly. "I'll let you rest. Goodnight".

She left the living room without giving Jacob a chance to talk. He felt guilty for being rude to her after what she had done for him, so he slowly and gently got off the couch and followed her into the kitchen. Emma had no idea and was startled when she felt a hand go on her waist. She turned around and looked up at Jacob.

"I didn't mean to be rude. I've just never had someone help me like that. Thank you" Jacob smiled this time.

"It's ok. I'm just glad that you are still alive" Emma wiped away the tears that rolled down her cheeks.

"Why are you crying?" Jacob asked.

"I miss my father" Emma bursted out in tears immediately. She turned around so that Jacob couldn't see her cry but he had turned her around and pulled her in for a hug. "Loneliness sucks. I've got no one".

"That's not true. You've got me now" Jacob looked down at her as she looked up at him. "I'll take care of you once I'm back to my full health. You'll stay with me and I'll protect you from anything and everything. You'll never feel alone again. That's my promise not only to you but to your father as well".

"Thank you" Emma smiled through her sadness and hugged Jacob again.

"No ones going to ever hurt you" Jacob said one last time before enjoying the hug.