Chapter Nine

All, everything that I understand, I understand only because I love.

*

*

*

*

*

*

*

*

*

*

  "Did you come to make me tea?" I wipe my cheeks and smile softly.

  "I wish, sweetie. But I don't think Scott wants that," he frowns.

  I stand up and walk away as fast as I can, leaving his house. The deputy looks dead at me and begins walking over.

  "Stay right where you-"

  I feel a hand grip my arm and I'm suddenly being pulled into Scott's arms. He lips crash into mine and for a moment, I hesitate but relax into him.

  His lips are soft and he tastes like chamomile tea. I grab hold of his hair and pull him closer to me, as he runs his hands down to grasp my rear. A gasp escapes my lips and his tongue dives into my mouth, deepening the kiss. I can taste the saltiness of my tears, and the realization hits me.

  I was kissing Scott Brooks. My first kiss. Scott Brooks had taken my first kiss and I couldn't be more shocked.

  I pull away and rest my head against his chest, as he strokes my hair, "I'm so sorry Carina. I've never liked anyone before nor have anyone tell me they like me and I just. Ugh fuck! I like you, at least I think I do,"

  I nod and step back, diminishing the physical contact, "That's good, I think," he chuckles.

  "Can you come back inside and tell me why you were so angry earlier?" I follow him up the driveway as he waves off the officer, then into his house.

  We go back into his room and I cautiously sit on his bed. He sits beside me and kisses my temple. My chest flutters and I blush. Scott might actually like you.

  Or he might just be using you.

  I shake away any thoughts of that being a possibility and smile up at Scott who's sitting nervously.

  "Go on, tell me what happened,"

  "Last week my house burned down and all of my mom's stuff got burnt. Those are the only memories I have left of her, except for my cat Gracie who is being put down as we speak," he looks away uncomfortably, "And I got fired from the Tea Barn, but that's not so bad because I'm moving back to New York anyways."

  "What?" he looks doleful.

  "I have about three weeks till my dad comes to get me, and brings me home."

  "Oh,"

  "Yeah,"

  "I'm sorry."

  "It's fine, stuff happens," he grabs his shirt and slips it on over his head, "I can't believe you were doing it with Mandy."

  He laughs and lays back on his bed, "Jealous?"

  "Definitely not," I blush.

  We sit in silence for a while, "You were the first guy I've ever kissed,"

  His eyes go wide and he sits up, "I'm sorry,"

  "It's fine," I shrug, deciding on whether or not I should stay or leave.