16: Shady Business

Noah

Everything was back to the norm. School was calm, classes were normal, and I was in home economics, wondering where the hell has Kent been sleeping for the past week.

He wouldn't tell me. He barely even talked to me. We were supposed to be husbands. He was sure acting like he's filing for divorce.

He was avoiding me in hallways, in class, and basically everywhere else.

Fuck you, Kent Sinclair.

How do you get someone to open up to you? Like, all I wanted was to go up to him, and just sit down, and talk about anything he liked. I wanted to know everything I needed to reach the point where when he crashes in my bedroom because he has nowhere to go, I'd be able to sleep next to him and make him feel protected without it being weird and uncomfortable.

I wanted to hold his hand and squeeze it tight enough to let him know that even if he jumps off a cliff I won't let go and I'll pull him up.

I couldn't do that if he wouldn't let me speak to him.

Life sucks, I know. Most lives did. In one way or the other, everyone suffered from something.

I was so riled up. The more I thought about him and what we could be if he let me in, the more I felt steam seeping through every empty space in my body.

Luckily enough, the last bell of the school day had struck, and I spared no moment in taking off and running as fast as I could to nowhere.

I didn't have grandma's car with me today, but I didn't run home. I ran to wherever my legs took me. I ran across the streets of a rainy town that rarely sees the sunlight, yet didn't need any. It had a lot of people with stories contained inside them which were brighter than the brightest sun that will ever touch Rivertown.

I found myself nearby the Reds' Manor, so I decided to stop and see what Raiken was up to. School had barely ended so he probably wasn't doing much.

I was buzzed into the gates by their butler. Raiken's family was filthy rich.

I walked down the cobblestone path of their front yard. It was bigger than my whole house. It wasn't the first time I was here, but we didn't visit Raiken much. Usually it's him visiting us.

I passed by an enormous oak tree, with a trunk decorated by dates and names that I didn't bother read.

Quickly and before drawing any attention, I went around the house to where Raiken usually was. He spent most of his time in the cottage behind it.

Raiken was still in his school uniform. Expected.

"Oh hey, Noah." He was surprised to see me. I would be surprised to see me, to be honest. "You look awful."

That was what I liked about Raiken, he was brutally honest about anything. "I know. I just didn't feel like going home and I found myself here. Okay if I-"

"Oh yes of course. You're always welcome." He said right as Spyder trudged from around the corner of the house.

"I didn't know Spyder was here too." I said. Spyder looked like he wasn't as excited to see me. He was closer to Raiken, yes, but we were best friends too. As far as I knew, we didn't have any fallout.

He walked past me with a nod. "I'll come back later Raiken."

I was left stunned. Raiken looked uncomfortable. He knew what was wrong. He couldn't hide anything without it being visible on his face. "What was that about?"

"He's going through an issue. He'll come around, don't worry." It seemed like everyone was shutting me out, one by one. I was starting to think I wasn't liked by my friends as much as I thought so.

First Kent, then Spyder, and Raiken kind of. Kent wasn't really my friend to begin with. I honestly didn't know what we were. We were best friends, but not. Friends, but not. Romantic interests, but not.

"I guess I'll go home." I told Raiken and headed back out.

"I'm sorry." He said last.

I went back home and cleaned up. I had a quick lunch and did some homework until it was dinner time. Then I ate a normal boring old meal, thinking to myself that Kent could be out in the streets eating nothing. It made me sick to my guts.

I left my plate half eaten, and ignored my family's pleas for me to finish my dinner.

I changed into my pajamas and sat in bed. I stared at the ceiling for longer than I intended. I looked at Blue, my stuffed smurf. It used to be gigantic, but then I grew up, and now it's just a big one.

I eventually left my room and trudged towards the living room. My parents were watching TV on the couch, my grandparents no where to be seen.

Dad Evan saw me first and gestured for me to come sit with them. Dad Zac made space when he saw me. I ended up sandwiched between them.

"Everything's gonna be alright." Evan said.

"Everything's gonna be just fine." Zac said.

"I hate you both." I said.

They put their arms around me like I was a baby. I didn't mind feeling like a baby for sometime. I needed it right now.

The next day at school, it was chaos. And just like always, Kent was at the center of it.

A/N: More soon x. Hope you enjoy the chapter. Vote and comment if you do and OMG 10K READS ALREADY WHAT!
THANKS SO MUCH.
Also @ gf pls love me thanks :)