Mint Chocolate Chip

___________________
Theme Song: TXT - Nap of A Star
—————————————

It is weird how in a moment of vulnerability one loses all rational thought. That the closest shoulder to cry on, be it your enemy, becomes your saviour. I let my guard down for mere seconds when I see his face. It is like my heart controls my brain.

I walk, step after step until I am directly in front of him. What I do next only surprises me moments later. I avoid eye contact and focus on the comfort I so desperately am in need of. His scent is soft, like baby powder but with a hint of cologne. I wrap my arms around his waist and bury my head in his chest. I exhale a rush of tears and sorrow. The feeling is relieving.

His body is tense at first then it relaxes and he puts a hand on my hair, gently stroking it. I breathe his scent in, and like waking up from a dream, realisation hits me. I immediately pull away, embarrassed for my irrational actions.

"Sorry." I wipe away stray tears.

He raises a hand to my shoulder but I brush it off and walk past him.

My mind is unable to comprehend the events that just took place. Was I that affected by my mother's absence in my life that I reacted by hugging him? Soobin, a boy I barely know. He must think I'm desperately throwing myself at him, well either that or I'm a complete psycho.

"Mia." I try to ignore it.

"Mia." He calls louder.

I turn around, still avoiding looking directly at him. My face probably looks like a dumpling from all the crying. Thank goodness for the breeze that blows my hair in my face.

"Do you like mint chocolate chip ice cream?"

What?

I nod my head. "It's my favourite," I sniff.

His concerned look is replaced by a glowing smile. It is contagious and I feel the urging sense to smile in return, but I contain myself.

"Come on, I know a great place where they sell it." He gestures.

I hesitate for a second.

"It will cheer you up," he says.

I bite my lip, mint chocolate chip is my favourite ice cream after all.

"Okay."

"Two please." Soobin says to the man at the ice cream street vendor.

I take a look around us. The streets are not very crowded, it does not look like a densely populated neighborhood.

"Here you go." Soobin hands me the ice cream cone.

"Thank you." I take it from him. "How much does it cost?" I start fishing in my jacket pocket for money but he stops me.

He shakes his head. "That's okay, it's my treat," he smiles.

"You don't have to," I mumble.

"But I want to." He looks to me after he pays for the ice cream.

"Thank you," I say softly.

"Ice cream's always the best remedy when you're sad," he says.

I feel a blush burn my cheeks. Just the thought of remembering what happened earlier makes me want to crawl into a hole.

"Let's go to the park, there's one just around the corner from here."

"Sure."

The park we arrive at is not like the one I previously encountered Soobin in, there is almost nobody present. Nevertheless, it is beautiful and also filled with cherry blossom trees. We sit at a bench located directly under a cherry blossom tree. The setting is romantic, like something from a kdrama.

I taste my ice cream, it is delicious. Soobin was right, it does make me feel better.

He catches me smiling to myself. "It's funny how the simplest things in life makes us happy," he says.

I look at my ice cream. "I guess so."

It becomes quiet for a moment and the only sound audible is the slight breeze of wind passing by.

"Thank you," I hear myself say, I catch him looking at me from the corner of my eye. "For cheering me up." I gesture to the ice cream. "I'm sorry if I caused you any trouble."

"You did not. I'm happy that I was there to comfort you when you needed it," he smiles.

I look at him, putting aside all insecurities, I look at him and see a boy, not only a very handsome one, but one who really cares. A person willing to understand my flaws.

I exhale a long sigh. "My mother. . ." I will myself to trust. "She's an actress, a very beautiful and successful woman actually."

"Is she in Korea?"

I shake my head. "She left us a long time ago, but she's still a big hit in Europe."

"So that makes you quite popular over there," he says.

"Not really, because of her agency, my mother's marriage to my father was a secret to the world, including me," I shrug.

"Oh."

"Yeah, I guess I always tell myself that her choosing her career over her family doesn't bother me but sometimes it's hard to contain the anger and hurt I feel for her." I lower my head. "I missed out on a lot throughout my childhood because of her absence." My ice cream begins dripping on the ground. "I'm sorry, I honestly don't know why I'm telling you all this. It probably doesn't interest you at all."

He shakes his head. "I'm glad you told me. And to be honest I think you turned out pretty amazing without her," he smiles.

"Thanks Soobin." I finally return his smile. It feels good to tell somebody about my problems without being judged. I crumble the ice cream cone's serviette in my hand. "That's why I vowed to myself that I would never follow in her footsteps, and neither would I fall in love with someone with such fame." I throw the serviette into a bin next to the bench. "I will not have my heart broken again."

•••
SOOBIN

After Mia left Soobin makes his way back to the dorm. The group has dance practice later the evening. The remembrance of her sudden embrace still surprises him, but a part of him feels comforted by it. The fact that she hugged him like that makes him feel a sense of warmth.

Then again, her vow concerning her mother made him feel a weird sting within his chest. Considering her urge to be open with him made him want to confess who he really is as well. Not just an ordinary Seoul boy, but an idol. However, when she uttered those words about having no interest in people with fame it made him hesitate. He stuffs his hands into his jacket pockets as he walks. How did things get so complicated, he thinks to himself. And what is it about this girl that makes me want to lie about who I am, just to make her happy?

•••

Hiiiiiiii

So sorry for that late update, as I have been having quite a busy week. Anyway, hope you enjoyed this chapter.