Chapter Twenty-Six

The barn's transformation was complete. Aeddon chose the location, a few miles out of town, because it was isolated and would hold many people. He'd decorated in purples – Breq's favorite color - and greens - Keys' favorite. Silver accents set them off. The balanced use between the various shades changed the space from utilitarian and rustic to elegant and charming.

There were long, buffet tables against one wall groaning with food. Jonathan and Julian oversaw the placement of the dishes. The older werebear was fretting over keeping everything warm without it being overcooked. The smell of roasted meats and sauces was delicious, masking that of the hay bales still stuck up in the high lofts at either end of the barn. Behind the tables hung heavy, velvet drapes in the same tones as the rest of the decor.

From the rafters lanterns dangled low, causing the sizeable space to seem more intimate. The candles gave off a soft, nearly magical light. There were lit candelabras on all the tables, including the one where Breq sat with Ingeborg Koster and Ife Jelani. The German was as light of hair, eye, and skin as the African was dark of all three. Both were strikingly beautiful, making Breqlynn feel a bit self-conscious.

The center of the room was cleared of all furniture, creating a makeshift dance floor. Breq had been out a few times with Jaeger. Keilynn was there now with Brice. Amanda claimed Aeddon for one of the she-wolf's favorite songs, "Lovesong" by The Cure.

Everyone had on their finest clothes for the occasion. Breqlynn was wearing a new, floor-length and strapless, plum-colored dress. The reaction she received from her wolf when he first saw her in it was quite satisfying. His green eyes turned to hazel, and she felt his appreciation through the bond. Although she might not be as beautiful as the other two women with her, Wolfrick saw her as more so, and that was all that mattered.

Jaeger was wearing an actual tuxedo which did things to Breq's insides. His smug smile let her know he felt her twinges as well. Rolling her eyes, she refocused on the shifter women's conversation.

Why can't I just nibble on his jugular? It won't kill him.

Breqlynn's eyes found Wolfrick's once more. He was leaning against the far wall. Gideon, who was back stateside, was in the group as were Sin Bae and Nikos Stavros. The daemon had received an invitation to her birthday party yesterday afternoon. The men seemed to have been on better footing while rebuilding her office the previous day. Something about the other man was bothering her wolf tonight, however. Their budding bromance was crashing and burning.

Sighing at the male drama, Breq sent, Because, he is now our ally. Something tells me he wouldn't like you to nibble on him. Me, on the other hand...

That distracted Jaeger from wanting to eat poor Nikos. It didn't take long for him to make Breq feel overheated with his suggestions. A couple of knowing looks passed between the shifter women. "Nothing like a new mating to remind one of how it was in the beginning," Ife sighed.

"Ja," Ingeborg agreed, her German accent heavy. "I think Ballard could use some reminding."

"Nassor as well," Ife gave a wink.

The two women left in search of their mates. Breqlynn wasn't alone for long. The song ended, and her smiling sister and a grinning Amanda were escorted back to the table. Keys sat to her right and the Irish woman to her left. Brice and Aeddon took seats opposite of them on the extended bench.

"Lovely party you've thrown for your daughters," Brice said from across Breq. His white cowboy hat dipped in her direction.

"And the food is excellent," Amanda chimed in, flashing Aed a smile from across the wooden surface. Breq wasn't sure how to feel about their budding romance. Strike that. She knew how she felt, and it wasn't warm or fuzzy. With the she-wolf being her sister from another mister and Aeddon being an actual blood relative, the relationship was damned near incestuous.