9

Harper

After the initial shock wore off Ryan and and I were laughing to ourselves.

It was late evening and we were sitting on a provided rug by the lake shore. We had managed to sit near some of Willows friends as she sat with them and they laughed and played.

"Thank you for that." I had managed to say between my bites of a burger.

"It's all good. The look on his face though." Ryan chuckled.

"It was worth it." I grinned back as Ryan agreed.

Willow raced back to grab her drink then left again as Ryan and I finished our food.

"But why did you do that?" I asked him, intrigued.

Ryan thought for a minute. "I didn't like the way he was talking and acting. Not to you nor Willow. Is he always like that to her?"

I nodded, looking back at my daughter. "Yeah." I sighed out. "He never really made time for Willow." I frowned then, thinking of the past. "Or me."

Ryan stayed quiet as he sat next to me. The lake shore was filling with people, the chatter around us loud. I kept my eye on Willow, making sure she was still nearby as the place started to get crowded.

"So, why every two years with this festival?" I asked out of the blue, trying to keep the conversation going.

"I don't know. I don't even know why here is called a lake. It's more of a dam. It has been a few years since I've been to these things."

"Always working?" I asked him, taking my drink.

"Yeah." He frowned then. "But it's nice to have a break every now and then."

I agreed, leaning back on to the rug, looking at the sky as it slowly darkened, the first of the stars coming out.

"So, Ryan Genson." I stated. I remember him saying he manages a tech company. "That tech company you manage," I peeked over at him as he paused before turning to me. "That wouldn't by any chance be the same company that also owns NextGen would it?"

"NextGen?" I saw his sly smile.

"Smart technology? Household appliances, electronics, IT hardware? I hear that stuff is fancy as, real nice as well. Even the mobiles are as advanced as the iPhone's and Galaxy's."

"Do you own something NextGen?" Ryan asked me and I gave him an as if look.

"No. That's way out of my price range. Besides, you haven't answered my question." But before I could get an answer, I was calling at Willow. "Willow, come back now please."

Willow ran over and placed herself between me and Ryan. It was getting really dark now, getting closer to the time of the fireworks as we all faced towards the lake, a large barge afloat, filled with the fireworks.

I leaned back on my hands as the first one went off in a spectacular green explosion, then the next and the next.

The echo of it carried on top of the water as many ahs were heard from people around us.