17. to lie is to be careful

Start from the beginning

"Never ever apologize for who you love," He reads aloud, his voice gentle. He looks up at Grace, his expression softening.

"Gotta remember me too, Jeonggukie," Grace laughs, patting his back. He thanks her again for the small gift and puts it in his backpack pocket.

Beside him, Taehyung is grumbling something under his breath. "You didn't write shit on mine," He complains.

Grace rolls her eyes. "Why would I? I don't care if you forget about me," She sticks her tongue out at him. Taehyung punches her shoulder.

"Ow! Bitch that was unnecessary!" Taehyung ignores her. "Okay, fine," She sighs dramatically and snatches the picture from him, her other hand fishing a pen from her backpack.

After a second, she hands it back to him. Taehyung reads silently to himself, but it's not long until he scoffs out loud.

"'Suck my nonexistent dick city boi'?" Taehyung frowns, clearly unimpressed as Grace snickers. He pockets it anyways.

"It's the thought that counts," Jeongguk interlocks their hands again, watching Taehyung's anger seep from his features and a shy smile fit onto his lips.

"Ugh you two are so darn cute," Grace gushes. "Though, last night was pretty steamy not gonna lie." She winks at them.

Jeongguk pales. He honestly thought they have done it quietly enough for Grace to not find out but apparently, they didn't. Great. How embarrassing.

"Oh, and Jeongguk, your hickies are showing. I'll greatly help you hide them when we stop," She laughs, patting his shoulder. Jeongguk's hand flies instantly to his neck, hiding the marks.

"Hopefully my lesson on AIDs prevention helped ya'll," Grace crosses her arms over her chest, a smug smirk on her lips. Jeongguk honestly feels like dying right now.

"Shut up," Taehyung groans, ready to fall off the face of the world. Grace shakes her head, grinning devilishly.

"You probably didn't tell Jeongguk that last night~" Taehyung lunges to grab her. Grace squeals, jumping back before he can touch her.

Taehyung ends up chasing her around the car, the two even using Jeongguk as a shield to avoid getting caught. Grace is too fast for Taehyung, but it doesn't even matter since he eventually grabs her.

They end up laughing so hard their stomachs hurt, and when Dan gets to the car, he's extremely confused to see three teenagers on the ground laughing hysterically.

"You kids ready?" Dan asks with concern, watching the three of them struggling to control themselves.

When the laughing stops, they all look at each other before bursting into another fit of laughter. They're too busy laughing at each other to notice Dan taking pictures of them.

"Okay seriously, we gotta head back to Memphis to see ya'lls parents," Dan claps, getting their attention. He fails at trying to act serious, but nonetheless they listen.

All of them get into the car, and as they get onto the freeway to head back home, Grace rolls down her window. Her blonde curls blow behind her head

"Goodbye Chicago!" She shouts at the top of her lungs as she cups her hands around her mouth, her head out of the window.

Taehyung and Jeongguk look at one another and do the same, shouting until their throat is sore and their lungs hurt as they watch their only chance of freedom slowly fade away into the distance.