Chapter Eleven

"And how am I going to get this into visitation with the squat and cough?" Nicky asked, holding the piece of wire that had been twisted into the shape of a ring in the palm of her hand.

"It's simple, shove it down your bra," Alex replied like it was the simplest thing. Nicky nodded. Her heart was racing and she felt a little sick. Today was visitation and the day that    Alex's plan would be put into action. If it worked, Nicky would be the happiest person on earth, if it didn't, she didn't know what she would do. Lorna meant everything to her and she felt as if this was the last chance she had of keeping her.

"This better work," Nicky warned.

"Trust me, if she's as romantic as you say she is, she will say yes." Alex placed a firm hand on her shoulder and squeezed.

"It will all be fine. I promise Nicky."

Alex walked away, leaving Nicky sat on her bed all alone. She looked up at the clock on the wall, protected with a small cage. It was time for visitation. She took a deep breath, shoved the ring down her bra and began to long walk to the visiting room.

Nicky stood in a long line of inmates waiting to go in. As she got closer to the front, she became more nervous. As she reached the front, she was almost sweating.

"Squat and cough," ordered CO Bell, with a smirk on her face. Nicky pulled down her pants, followed by her granny knickers. All she could do was pray that the ring wouldn't fall. She squatted down and coughed.

"Fine," Bell said, signalling Nicky to stand back up. She quickly pulled her undies and pants back up. A small rush of relief rushed through her as she passed the first stage. All she had to do now was get Lorna to say yes.

Lorna was sat at the usual table in the corner and smiled when she saw Nicky. They embraced in a slightly awkward hug before they were told to let go. Lorna sat down and Nicky sat opposite.

"You look good," said Nicky, putting off what else she had to do.

"I wanted to make the effort."

"Listen Lorna, I'm sorry about last time. I guess I felt insecure about Vinnie but I know I can trust you." She didn't notice the guilty look on Lorna's face.

"There's something I need to tell you Nicky." Nicky didn't listen. She figured that it was now or never.

"I've been doing some thinking and I realised that I am ready to spend the rest of my life with you. I know I'm stuck in here for the next few years and you will be out there but I really want to make a commitment to you." Nicky paused to pull the ring from her bra. She took a flabbergasted Lorna's hand.

"Lorna Morello, will you marry me?"

Lorna's mouth was hanging wide open. She took the ring from Nicky's hand but didn't put it on.

"I'm sorry Nicky, I need to do some thinking first." She stood up and quickly rushed out, just like Nicky did the last time.

"Lona stop, please," Nicky tried. It was unsuccessful.

"Be quiet," shouted a CO. Nicky left the room, not wanting to be there anymore.

She rushed to her bed and pulled the covers over her head. She let the tears fall freely from her eyes. She didn't know what she would do anymore.

00000

Nicky placed her cold hands over Lorna's eyes. She was excited to see what Lorna thought of the building.

"I want to see." Lorna giggled. Nicky uncovered her eyes and Lorna's mouth was wide open.

"It's beautiful Nicky,"