001

CHAPTER ONE

A quiet Jennie watched the trees as they flew by

A quiet Jennie watched the trees as they flew by. Orange colored leaves falling from the branches to settle into a pile seated beneath the humongous trees surrounded all around the moving vehicle.

Fall was approaching. It made Jennie happy since it was her favorite time of the year along with winter. She couldn't really explain the comfort it brought it her but she just remembers always loving this specific time of the year ever since she was a little girl.

"How are you feeling sweetie?" Jennie's mother spoke from the front seat, briefly glancing in the rear-view mirror to find her daughter already looking at her.

"I don't know," she softly mumbled. "Is there a specific way I should be feeling?"

"Aren't you excited?" Julianna, her mother spoke with such enthusiasm in her raspy voice before continuing to boast on about how wonderful Judith was and how good it'll be for her. "Plus, Jisoo will be there! You haven't seen her in months. Isn't that exciting?"

Jennie simply nods at her mother's words. She'd be lying if she said she wasn't excited to see her childhood best friend.

Jisoo had left for Judith last year. She could distinctly remember a very excited Jisoo running into her bedroom, a letter in hand with edges of the paper dipped in gold, all while frantically reading the extra formal letter dedicated to none other than Jisoo herself.

You've been accepted to Judith, the school of the gifted. . .blah blah blah

"Dad couldn't come?"

"He couldn't leave the office." Julianna responds with a small frown on her lips, clearly disappointed that her husband wasn't by her side to send their daughter off. LBut he sends you all his love and he wishes he could be here, you know that. Your grandmother as well, if she could travel you know she'd be here too."

Again, Jennie nods knowing her mother was right. Her father had never missed anything important pertaining to his only child. So she knew if he was missing this, it must have been something he really couldn't miss. As for her grandmother, Jennie knew she wouldn't be able to make it. With her old age, it made things quite difficult for her grandmother to travel. Plus the call they shared this morning was just enough.

After driving for quite some time, the black Mercedes pulled up to very tall gates. Gates that blocked the view of whatever was beyond them.

Jennie could spot the obvious force field that entrapped everything and anything inside those gates. The land they were on was huge. Acres and acres of grass and trees surrounding the entire location. Along with a very long road that they just drove down.

"Name?" A deep voice spoke the second Julianna rolled the window down.

Jennie watched quietly as her mother leaned forward, what sounded like a twist of Latin falling from her tongue. She didn't bother to ask, knowing her mother probably wouldn't answer her.