21

SEVERAL DAYS PASSED. I didn't tell Calder of the nightmare vision I'd had, and only had that once. I knew if I did it would only stress him out further than he already was, which in turn would cause me to feel the same. I just had to hope because I'd only seen it once that it was in fact just a nightmare, and not something that would soon come to light. . .

Calder had actually been a little more like himself these past few days, not having any of his episodes, at least when I was present. The staff was still unpleasant with him though, which kept him walking around the palace in shadow. But the fog was not as clouded around him as before at least, and I wanted to hope that meant he was now getting past what he went through and was coming back to me.

I needed him to, not only for my sake but for his own, and for the kingdom. If we were going to defeat Sylvi once and for all, he had to be strong and focused again. Now more than ever I was determined to end her reign. Then Calder could finally let go, feel peace and be with me entirely. I just wish we knew how.

I found myself looking through my grandmother's vision book again that morning, wondering if it might give me any answers to the one I had if it was indeed a warning. I read that visions felt as real as touch which I knew from the ones I had of the sword, and Calder in Sylvi's dungeon.

They all felt as if I was right there in the scene, experiencing everything. The visions of the sword turned out to not be as accurate as it was depicted, but Calder's was all but real. I touched my neck, still feeling the constriction in my imagination.

No. That one had to be just a nightmare. Nothing more. Calder would never hurt me intentionally like that. I knew it in my soul.

I was startled by a knock at the door, practically throwing the book back under my bed just as someone came in.

Thorne gave me a puzzled look as I sat on the bed and tried to force an innocent smile.

"Hey, Queenie," he greeted, eyeing me suspiciously and then cracking a joke. "Writing in your diary?"

I rolled my eyes. "I thought you were Calder. I was just reading in my grandmother's book."

"Why, did you have another vision or something?"

As much as I wanted to talk to someone about the anxiety I felt of it, I knew I couldn't even tell Thorne of the nightmare because his big mouth would just get the better of him. Then Calder would find out just as he had from Nilsine about the ones I'd seen of the sword. I had to lie.

"No. I just wanted to finish the pages I hadn't gotten to. I've been so distracted lately with Calder and my duties. He doesn't even know about the book or the library yet."

"I've noticed your distraction," Thorne said. "I've barely seen any sight of you since we got back. I've missed your sassy ass."

I threw him a look that made him laugh. "And yet I can't say that I've missed your cocky attitude."

"Well that's just rude," he replied with playful sarcasm, walking back out the door.

I followed him into the hallway to walk with him wherever he was going, needing lighter company at the moment. I would have to leave shortly of course to check on Calder and attend to my duties I had let slip yesterday, but for now I just wanted to hang out with him like I would with a best friend back home. I missed Jessi and that small enjoyment of her friendship more than I could say.