Chapter 4 - Dinner With A Butterfly

"So, dad, how did you know I was here?" Star asked, sparking up a conversation.

"Well, I asked the orphanage you were in where your new family lived so I could meet you." River replied. "To be honest, I never knew Echo Creek existed!"

Star gave a nervous laugh. "Yeah. It's a small town." She remarked. Soon after, there was a beep from the stove signalling the nachos were heated up.

"I'll get them." Marco said. He got off of his seat and took the hot plate of nachos out of the stove placing them in the table. "Be careful. They're hot."

"Thank you, my boy." River  acknowledged, lifting up a cheese covered chip. "How about you, sweety? How has your new family been?"

"Now bad. They're really nice to me."

"That's good. As long as my pumpkin is safe." River paused to pick up another cheesy chip. "Mmm. These are really good!" He mumbled to himself. "So - if you don't mind me asking - why are you here, Marco?"

"Oh, umm-"

"I was teaching Marco how to make nachos!"

"Oh, so you made these together? They're really good!"

"Thanks, Dad." She said staring out if the window. Everyone sat quiet for a couple of minutes until broke through the silence.

"Star, I need to go home. My parents are probably looking for me."

"Oh yeah. See ya, Marco." She waved as Marco left his seat and exited the room. "Oh, and Marco! Don't forget to talk to your parents!" Not long after you could hear the sound of a door being opened and slammed shut.

"What do you mean, 'talk to your parents'?" River asked.

"Oh, nothing." She lied. "So, I uh, I noticed you weren't at mom's funeral." River stopped munching down on chips and looked up at his daughter, wearing a serious face.

"Oh, sweetie, I wanted to come, I really did, but I got caught up and a lot of things that I needed to do."

"What 'important' thing did you need to do that would stop you from being at the love of your life's funeral?" She asked, raising her voice.

"I had a lot of work to do."

"Work? You do know you could've asked your boss to take the day off or something? Or did you want to come?"

"What are you saying? Of course I wanted to be there! She is my wife!"

"Was! She was your wife! I needed you there! I needed you to support me but you were 'caught up in work'!"

"Do not speak to me like that, young lady! I am your father!"

"Was!" She screamed, louder than she ever did before. There was silence. No-one spoke for a while. Just a deafening silence. Until Star broke the spell with venom. "Get out." She softly spoke. River stood there, you could see pain leaking through his eyes. But he didn't leave. "Get. OUT!" She barked. River obeyed her orders without saying a word. The door being shut softly this time.

Not long after, Star broke into tears onto the table. She sobbed for a while, tears staining the table. She didn't hear the door open.

"Hey, Star, fo you know who that guy was?" Janna asked, closing the door with her foot because she gad bags in her hands. "You know, the one that left the house cry- Oh my!" Janna saw Star and immediatly dropped the bags and dashed into the kitchen to comfort her. "Mom, quick!" Janna called for her mother who only just entered the house.

"Hold on, Janna! I still have groceries to carry!"

"Forget them a second!" Maryann entered the room to see Star sobbing on the table with Janna next to her.

"Star, what's wrong?" She asked walking to the two girls. "Tell us what happened."

"I'm alright." She said. "I'm going to my room."

"But, Star-"

"I said I'm okay."

________________

I know this is a short chapter but I wanted to get ine out before the Monday amd for some it already is. I know I haven't posted in a while and that's because I was watching all 2 seasons of STVFOE for the finale that aired today. I'm so sad the series is over 😭😭. Did you watch the finale? If so what was your favourite part? I should be able to upload again on Tuesday and until then have a good week.