35. sweetpea x betty (f)

author: ice_goliath
source: archive of our own

Betty paced her bedroom, chewing absently on a red vine, painting her lips red. She glanced over at the chair in the corner, a leather jacket slung over the back of the wicker. The green serpent visible. She smiled around the confectionary and gazed out the window at the inky blackness. Eyes constantly flickering to her wrist, her watch tormenting her with its speed.
As soon as her mother locked the door for the night, she would plunge herself into the darkness and onto a waiting motorbike. She shivered in anticipation and popped the rest of the red vine in her mouth.
Minutes later the phone rang, a rhythmic ringtone that betrayed the name of the person who was on the other end.
"Hey" she said softly
"I'm outside"
"On my way"
She hung up, not waiting for an answer, consciously listening for her mothers call that the door was locked and that she was going to bed.
Impatient, she grabbed the jacket off the chair and carefully put it on. It went well with her choice of black jeans, a soft grey sweater and black boots. The jacket was was too long and hung loose from her shoulders. She stroked the sleeves proudly and smiled wryly at her reflection in the glass. The reflection smiled back as if aware of her transformation.
When the call came, she lifted open the window, and breathed in sharply as the cold rushed in. A ladder emerged noiselessly from the darkness, creating a gentle thud as it was leant against the wall. She smoothly slid through the gap in a well practiced lunge; shutting the window gently behind her and slipping into the place the street lights couldn't reach.
Jumping off the last two rungs, her face collided with a hard chest; she felt her breath hitch as a pair of strong arms grabbed her around the waist to keep her steady.
Letting her eyes get accustomed to the darkness, she tilted her head upwards, finally able to gaze into the dark eyes of the guy in front of her. He tilted his head down, a lazy smirk on his face.
"I thought I was supposed to be rescuing you." He tilted his head to the side, indicating to the house.
"You know I don't need rescuing, Sweets. I'm no Juliet." She rolled her eyes and pushed him away, so she could gathering her thoughts; instantly missing the feeling of him being so close. A smile tugging at the corners of her mouth, she pulled him back in and stood on tiptoes to kiss him, wrapping her fingers through his hair and tugging the back gently.
"And you know I'm no Romeo." His voice low and breathy against her skin "Keep that up and we're not going anywhere" His tone devilish, like he wouldn't mind being caught. Just not by her mother. His breath staggered as she moved to his neck "You know I want you Firecracker, but we'll be late for the meeting"
She bit back a laugh that came out sharper that she wanted it to. Not quite believing what he'd said. He pulled back in surprise.
"Why are you so worried Sweets?" Her voice full of concern at the unusual statement, fingers reaching out and playing with the hem of his flannel. A distraction and an apology at the same time.
"They asked for me to be there. Never asked before, they just assumed I would be." he muttered, as he grabbed her wayward fingers and laced them with his.
"Do you know what it's about?" Her voice probing with gentle enquiry.
"Betty Cooper, always the investigator" his voice soft, but with a hint of pride.
"Will Jughead be there?"
His fingers tensed in hers.

The Serpents had been a little jumpy ever since she, a Northsider, declared that she wanted to join them. She'd even done the dance and had become the ex of the Serpent King on the same night.
Were they calling SP in because of her?
Why now? It had been months since the dance.
Was Jug jealous that she'd found someone else? It was his problem that he didn't want to be with her; not hers or SP's for that matter.
Or could it be that he had just got over the shock of her walking into the Wyrm with SP's arm around her shoulders and a grin on her face.

She felt her lips turn upwards at the memory. There was still the question of why and it was bothering her, but she had to be calm, for him.
"Ok, I'll let it go, but we will definitely be picking this up later."
He wrinkled his forehead in confusion.
"The kissing or the conversation?"
Betty let go of his fingers, pressed two to his lips, then slid past him; hip checking him as she went, crossing the road to where his motorcycle was waiting. Ensuring he understood that she meant the former.
She beckoned him with a crooked finger, waiting as he re-hid the ladder and sprinted across the road, not bothering to look. Not that there would be any cars that time of night in the respectable part of town. Not to say that they weren't respectable, but been part of a motorcycle gang had afforded them a certain reputation that most people would stay away.
"We'll have to get you one of these that fit" He indicated to the way she pulled at his jacket sleeves. "You did do the dance" he gazed down at her with hooded eyes and a smirk. "I distinctly remember that part."
Before she could say anything or physically react, Sweet Pea had climbed onto his bike and held out the spare helmet he always carried for her.
"Would you like it back?"
"I like you wearing it. Everyone knows you're with me."
Betty shook her head at the possessive nature of the remark and took the helmet, putting it on before climbing on behind him. She wrapped her arms around his waist, pulling herself forward to rest her body against him. Partly as a wind break - she did have his jacket after all-, partly to be close to the safety of his well muscled back.
They sped to the Whyte Wyrm in silence, letting the roar of the engine and the bumps in the road, be the rhythm.
He swerved the bike to a stop outside the bar and they got off, Betty wordlessly handing over the helmet and letting Sweet Pea sling his arm over her shoulders. She took his hand and stroked the back of it in a silent conformation of "whatever happens, I'm here." He kissed the top of her head in response.
"Ready?" his voice full of resolve.
She nodded and they sauntered through the doors together. Sweet Pea removed his arm from her shoulders as soon as they got into the bar, leaving her feeling cold and alone.
"Toni" He growled, instruction in his voice, to the brunette girl behind the bar, with what looked like whisky in her hand.
Toni, nodded at him as he walked away, leaving Betty feeling confused. It was like a secret language.
"What just happened?" She asked as a tall glass of something red was placed in front of her.
"Sweet Pea" was Toni's only answer, before she turned to serve someone else. The words were final as if they explained everything.
Betty sipped her drink, her eyes on the crowd, watching out for Jughead. The drink had a lot of cranberry juice, but it was balanced out well with something sweet and an undertone of cherry. Surprisingly, just the way she liked it.
The odd conversation with Toni and some other Serpents who came to the bar kept her from worrying. They were used to her being there by now visiting her friends. She glanced down at her watch, it had only been half an hour, but felt like forever.
A sudden tinkling noise caught her attention, she dug into the inside pocket of her borrowed jacket and pulled out her phone. A text message. She paused at the name on the message. Veronica. It had been weeks since she had heard anything from her two best friends.
They were going to be at Pop's that night and was wondering if she wanted to meet to catch up. She was welcome to bring Jug if she wanted. Betty's heart sunk, they didn't know. Of course they didn't. Her sinking heart became anger then disappointment.
She shut the message, hid her phone away again and tried to concentrate on the present.

What were they doing to her boyfriend in there?

Toni nodded to the left and Betty twisted around on her barstool to find Sweet Pea, his face passive, standing in front of her.
"I need my jacket back"
He spoke before the had time to open her mouth and ask how it went.
"You need your jacket back?" Her eyes narrowed at the unexpected statement.

Why?
The jacket meant something to her. It was his way of proving his possessive streak.
Had they told him to break up with her?
Was Jug really that much of an asshole?
Had SP listened and was blindly following the Serpent King's orders? He'd done that before, following Jughead into fights and much worse.

"I can see your brain working, Cooper." Sweet Pea said lightly, a smirk on his face.
"If you are trying to finish with me, at least have some decency not to look happy about it." She stood, shucked his jacket off and threw it as his chest, watching as his face darkened in confusion "I thought you were better that this. I'll make my own way home."
She turned to leave. He stared after her.
Recovering quickly, he grabbed her by the arm before she had made three steps.
"Why do you think I'm dumping you?"
"You asked for your jacket back." She said sadly, "Were you told you that you have to dump me if you want to stay? Don't we mean anything?"
"Shut the brain off, Cooper"
He tossed something black at her. She caught it and held it up suspiciously.
"Sweets?" she uttered in surprise, as the clump of material rolled open in her hands.
"I wanted my jacket back Firecracker, because they gave me this." He grinned at her as her face relaxed.
"The Serpent council want you in," he continued "They think you're an asset and that you're good for me." He whispered the last five words in her ear, bending so close that she could feel his breath on her neck.
It made her skin raise goosebumps.

Who would have made the comment that made SP so happy?

Betty shook her head slightly, ignoring the questions gathering in her head; before sliding her arms through the material of the sleeves and pushing it on over her shoulders. It fit perfectly.
"You're not finishing with me."
"No"
"I'm now a serpent."
"Serpent adjunct. No trades or deals or fights, but you are protected."
Betty played with the sleeves and watched as he swung his jacket back on. The view making her stomach flip.
"Do you want to go and try these out?" She asked slyly.
"How about back to my place. I want to to show you how good you are for me."
Her expression was replaced with a slight smirk.
"Actually, I was thinking catch up with Archie and Veronica tonight. Do you want to come?"
"Do they know about me?"
He stepped closer, stroking her leather clad arms with his hands
"They haven't been around for a while, so no, they don't." Her voice a mixture of angry and sad at the same time.
He reached up and ran his fingers down her face slowly, pausing when he got to her chin; tilting it up so he could kiss her gently, reluctantly pulling away seconds later.
"In unity there is strength"
She smiled at the words that now meant something to both of them; before reaching calmly inside his jacket, running her fingers over his chest and fiddling with the dog tags that hung around his neck; almost gleefully letting him get his own ideas. His dark eyes followed her every move, going wide in surprise as she suddenly dug into his inside pocket and plucked out her phone.
Ignoring the look of disappointment, she unlocked it, scrolled to the message and replied to the affirmative. She tucked it away in her own pocket.
"You might be a shock." She pondered loudly, before giving him slow smile "Do you fancy having a bit of fun?"
Sweet Pea grinned at the prospect, Betty automatically forgiven. Anything that involved rattling Red's cage was always at the top of his list, Veronica was a bonus. Especially if they had hurt his girl.
"Sounds like you have a plan"
"Maybe I do" The smile was now a full on evil grin, the one that Sweet Pea found intoxicating. "Then back to yours," she purred, pulling him away from his thoughts, "and I'll show you how good I can make this jacket look"
Sweet Pea's grin got wider and slung his arm over her shoulder, pulling her close. Serpents on display, they stepped out of the bar.