Twenty Three: Mila

We made a commotion running down the valley. When my eyes were finally dry and a certain fat bird came to sit on my lap, I looked up from the tiny bubble of me and Mila. We were very much not alone, and I was the spectacle to gawk at. I blushed and stood up straight, watching nervously at all the witches who had gathered around us. Schula and Nassir were not too far to the side of us, the witches were definitely giving them some cautious space.

"We should take this indoors, child," Mila said as she stood by me. "Come, all of you."

Mila gestured a bony hand at Schula and Nassir, indicating them to follow as she turned another direction and took a wobbly dirt path up a slope. The eyes followed us up, sending a chill down my back. I had never had an uncomfortable moment among witches before, and I can't say I liked the sensation.

"Mila." A witch from behind us stopped Mila's steps. The older woman turned from her place in front of me to face the courtyard that was now slightly below us. My eyes landed on a witch with black and silver fur trimming her dress. She wasn't as old as Mila, but she looked close behind her.

"Gelwyn," Mila said curtly. Puko made a show of fluttering to Mila's shoulder and landing. Staring at the new witch with his milky blind eye.

"When you're done, send for me. I would see for myself what she is." The other woman, Gelwyn, looked formidable as she stood in the courtyard. Her dress billowed around her in the light breeze and her sharp gray gaze fired up at us with assuredness that I'd never had in my life.

"So be it," Mila said. "Come, child. We have much to discuss."

I nodded and followed after Mila. I looked over my shoulder to share a look of confusion with Schula. I shrugged. I didn't know what that was about either.

Climbing behind Mila was slow, but peaceful. Once Gelwyn spoke her piece, the other witches were content enough to disperse. Mostly to gossip among themselves, but still they did disperse and stop their boring of their gaze into our backs.

The top of the winding path took us to a cabin just like the many others around it. This one, as was always Mila's preference, was a bit farther away from other cabins than the others were from each other. It sat on a mound with a garden and a yard of laying hens and a duck. Her favorite blue dusty fern grew in pots by the door.

"Have you been here this whole time?" I asked softly.

"I have." Her answer was short but gentle. She swung open the door and let us inside without further explanation.

Mila settled on a chair at her little table. It had three chairs, and a stone jar of the salve she used on her bad wrist. She sat with a sigh and began removing her boots, rubbing her feet. Puko made himself right at home, perching on the foot of her bed.

"Sit, sit. The bed, the chairs, wherever you can find." Mila dropped her last boot on the dirt floor and began lighting candles to illuminate the dim space. Reaching out a hand, I focused a string of my powers on a few candles on the windowsill and lit them as well.

Mila looked at me for a long moment before giving me a ghost of a smile. It might as well have been a full bellied laugh, coming from her. "You really are Lark's daughter."

Nassir, who was sitting on the bed by Schula stiffened.

"Mila," I said. "How long have you known? You never told me. And all those nights you spent trying to read it in the stars."

Mila pursed her lips together and tapped her fingers on the table.

"You had better tell me how you found out first, and then I will tell you what has happened here."