Chapter 12

[Vote and comment, please. Enjoy reading!]

CHAPTER TWELVE

*Hunter’s POV*

“What did you say?” I stopped dead in my tracks, my pack behind me following suit.

“Stefan informed me that Silver used a commanding voice to him,” Aiden said, repeating his very words for the third time now. “Silver wasn’t aware of it, though, according to my mate. And he told it to me first because he cannot reach your thoughts. Stefan strongly believes that that’s because he is near your Silver,” he added, sensing that I was needing an explanation.

I smiled on how he addressed Silver as mine, even though to them I was just baring my teeth, seeing that we were still in our wolf forms. Still, it didn’t completely erase the sickening feeling I was having ever since I left this morning.

I was about to speak again when all of a sudden, a scream echoed throughout the forest; a voice I knew even in my sleep.

I quickly shifted back to my human form as every emotion held in my mate’s scream struck me like a lightning. Every pain, sadness, betrayal, weariness, loathe, and a strong want to kill he felt, I felt it too. Only ten folds higher. But what caused the tightening of my chest now was how I was so useless not to know why he was having those feelings.

I needed to find him. I needed to get to him. Now. He needed me. God, why did I ever leave him this morning?! I should’ve stayed! I was sure Caleb could take over! And whatever, whoever, made my Silver be in this state has another thing coming.

Another scream was heard and soon followed by a laugh. It was still him but somehow… it wasn’t. Wolves from my pack began whimpering, cowering like they were terrified of something. And if someone would listen intently, howls of other packs from afar could be heard.

The weather slightly changed. It was hard not to notice when a sudden big group of dark clouds just formed above a specific part of the forest, especially if the sun was high up seconds ago. The wind turned colder, even stronger. Yet it somehow felt impossibly dry, as if even the littlest moist from the greeneries were being dried off.

Before I could run towards the direction where my wolf was leading me to, Stefan came into view. He looked like he was running for dear life. Aiden quickly strode his way to his mate when he noticed he was crying, but Stefan just passed him and walked straight to me. At first I looked at him in confusion, then anger that he disobeyed my order of not leaving Silver’s side until we came back, and then my eyes went wide with shock when he fell on his knees in front of me. He bowed his head until his forehead touched the ground. Aiden, who now shifted back in his human form, bent down over him in a protective way, looking at me with pleading eyes, sensing that his mate had done something bad enough for him to be like this.

“Stefan, what are you doing?” My wolf was practically begging me to just ignore this and go to where our mate was, but I can't leave without knowing why one of my best friends felt the need to lower himself as much as he was currently doing.