Carter | Odd Man Out

Odd Man Out

Odd Man Out

Carter stepped off the bus, blinking in the afternoon sun. As he appraised the stone building looming ahead, his shoulders sagged. He wasn't excited to walk around the museum, even though their astronomy exhibit was supposed to be awesome. What did it matter when the only person who shared his enthusiasm would never talk to him again?

"Alright everyone, please collect into groups of three or four before exploring the museum," Mr. Morrison shouted over the class. "There are tons of different exhibits, but I'd love for everyone to stop in at the electricity lab. A lot of what we're learning in class is being featured, so please make it a priority."

Carter shifted uncomfortably. He stayed close by the bus, searching for anyone to latch on to. His eyes skimmed over his classmates' heads before landing on Amber, her curls drawing him in like a magnet. She was laughing at something Chloe Park had said, their heads huddled together close. Mark stood nearby, seemingly bored by the topic of discussion.

Carter watched on, his heart beating painfully in his chest. He hated seeing them together, remembering what it was like to stand in Chloe's place. He had nothing against her personally, but it was hard not to hold a grudge against his replacement.

"Alright, has everyone found a group?" Mr. Morrison called over the noise. Carter didn't want to, but he slowly raised his hand to get his teacher's attention.

"I don't have a group," he muttered.

"Is there any group of three willing to let Carter join them?"

Carter's cheeks flared as everyone turned to stare at him. How lame was it that the teacher had to make friends for him?

His blush deepened when he caught Amber's eye. It was such a rare occurrence for her to acknowledge him. Whenever they passed each other in the halls, she kept her attention straight ahead. The worst was at home when he would stare at her window, the blinds permanently closed. He'd catch glimpses of her coming and going from her house, but she never once glanced at his house.

Carter couldn't blame her, though; he did it to her first.

For a split second, it looked as if she would volunteer. Her lips were slightly parted, and she wore a hesitant look. Carter silently prayed that she'd surprise him and say something.

Then, Carter locked eyes with Mark.

He was shooting daggers from his spot next to her. Instantly, Carter was back to that day, the one where he made the biggest mistake of his life. The day Carter wished he could take back more than anything in the world.

He dropped his gaze, dismissing any hope that today would change anything.

"He can join our group," a voice called to Carter's right. Tanner Smith, one of the boys on the soccer team, waved him over. Carter had yet to hang out with the guys from the team. He didn't really want to make new friends; part of him was still holding out that he'd get his old ones back.

"Thank you, Tanner. Carter, go join your group so we can get going. Ok everybody, follow me!"

Carter shuffled over to his new group as others around him made their way towards the entrance.

Tanner gave him an easy smile, which made Carter feel a little better. The group was finished off by Aiden Williams, another boy from the team, and Clay Richards, the school's notorious class clown. Both of them were equally as friendly, with Clay even clapping Carter on the back.

"Sorry about that, dude. If we'd seen you standing all alone, we could've saved you the embarrassment of that crap Morrison just pulled."

"Don't worry about it," Carter responded, eager to forget the announcement ever happened.

"Do you guys know where you wanna go? Or how to read this thing?" Aiden asked, fussing with a map of the museum.

"I guess we could just go to electricity and get it over with. Knowing Morrison, we'll probably have a quiz on it tomorrow." Tanner turned to Carter. "Was there anywhere you wanted to go?"

Carter hesitated. He knew liking science wasn't the coolest thing in the world, but he didn't feel like lying about it.

"I kinda wanted to check out the space stuff," Carter answered, taking the risk. He hoped his voice sounded nonchalant.

"Stars are pimpin'," Clay agreed before pulling ahead. "Don't worry guys, I'll get us there!"

"Says the one not holding the map," Aiden grumbled as he jogged to catch up to him.

Carter fell in line next to Tanner, then spotted Amber's group only a few steps ahead. He watched as the two people he cared about most laughed without him; no matter how much time passed, it never got easier. Carter's mom insisted that one day, Mark would forgive him. One day, he would tell Amber what happened and she would understand. One day, it would be the three of them again.

As Carter's new group split off to head towards astronomy, he looked back at Amber and Mark one more time, wondering when one day would be here.