20

CALDER WASN'T THERE WHEN I woke up that morning. I raised up from the bed and looked around the bright room, seeing I was completely alone. I looked down and noticed a note on the pillow Calder's head had laid on, picking it up.

Sleep, My Darling. I shall be back when you wake, said the message in neat cursive handwriting.

"But you're not," I mumbled in slight annoyance, tossing the paper onto the nightstand.

Bryndis entered as I stood from the bed, breakfast tray and a freshly cleaned dress in arm.

"Good morning, Your Majesty!" she chirped happily.

"Morning," I greeted back, my mind off in another world. "Have you seen Calder this morning?"

"Oh, no, I can't say that I have. Sorry, Your Majesty."

Sighing I took the dress from her and began removing my nightgown to put it on. "It's alright. I'll go look for him in a minute."

"What about your breakfast? It will get cold."

Pulling the tight corseted dress on and turning to let Bryndis tie the laces, I did the quickest side braid I could manage.

"I'll eat in the dining hall today, actually. I think it would be nice to eat with my staff, show them I'm not isolated from them or seeming as if I'm better than they are. We need to all be as one, not as diverse as it has been for so many centuries. Things are going to change drastically now that Eeira is gone, I'll make sure of that."

"Oh. . ." Bryndis slowly replied, "Well. . .That sounds lovely, Your Majesty."

I smirked at her in the mirror. "I know."

Tightening up the last lace and tying it off I stepped away from Bryndis and went over to my dresser drawer. Pulling it open it revealed the only thing inside, my mother's ring, washed clean of Calder's blood and glistening as if new. I gently picked it up and fiddled with it a moment before slipping it on.

"Would you like to wear one of your crowns today, Your Majesty?" Bryndis softly echoed behind me.

Looking up into the mirror once more I gazed over myself, taking in a deep breath.

"Yeah. I think I will."

I looked around for any sign of Calder as I made my way to the dining hall, but had no luck in finding him

I looked around for any sign of Calder as I made my way to the dining hall, but had no luck in finding him. I didn't understand why he had left while I was still asleep or even where he went, but I was at least glad he left the note so I wouldn't worry something bad had happened.