Chapter 24 - Catching our eyes

~* ~ *~

       We end up leaving the adoption agency a few minutes later, after Dawn tells us to make an appointment with her for whenever we'd like, if a family in the profile books ends up catching our eyes. Caleb and I stay silent for the ride back to my house, with the books on my lap as I stare down at them in total confusion. I can't help but feel so guilty knowing that our baby can hear us speaking, hear our voices, not even understanding that we're considering giving her away. It makes my stomach turn and my head badly ache, because in my heart I don't know if I'm ready.

       I don't even dare open the books, not quite yet, and we eventually make it to my house.

       Holding the profile books in my hands against my chest is when we both get out of his car after he parks in the driveway, and we make it to the front door. As soon as I begin to turn the knob is when the door yanks open by itself and my mother greets us.

        She has a slight grin apread across her face, but her eyes give off the vibe that makes her look like she's not in a very good mood. "Hello sweetheart," My mom softly lets out in a soothing tone, as I slightly smile in responce as her gaze travels to Caleb. "Caleb," she says even more quiet.

       I glance up to his face as he politely nods his head with a shy grin. "Nice to see you again," he nicely tells her, as she suddenly looks as guilty as can be.

       "Nice to see you as well," she carefully rushes out, holding out her hand looking awkward as he takes it, and they quickly shake before dropping their arms. My mother sets her gaze back onto me as I widen my eyes, waiting. "Oh, um, if you have time Caleb I'd like to speak to you."

      His baby blue eyes lock with mine instantly, as his eyebrows raise in confusion, before he looks back at my mother and nods his head. "Okay. Yeah m'am, of course."

        Her eyes unexpectedly light up as she blankly grins. "Well then, please follow me."

       I glance up at Caleb's face when she turns around and walks down the hallway, as he stares into my eyes and seems to be really nervous. "It's okay," I carefully assure him, as he lets in a deep breath and we walk beside one another down the hall.

       About two minutes later is when we're all silently sitting in the waiting room, my mother on the smaller couch with Caleb and I sitting next to eachother on the bigger one. I still tightly hold the profile books against my chest, even though there's such a huge stack, as my arms begin to hurt. I don't even realize I'm so fearful when he takes them out of my hands and easily places them down gently onto the table.

       He stays quiet and stares down at the coffeetable before anyone speaks up.

   "Well," my mother finally lets out, as we both lock our eyes onto hers. "I just would like to apologize for how immature and rudely I acted, yesterday. It was very uncalled for and I just want you to understand that I am sorry for how I reacted towards you."

      Caleb slowly nods, as she doesn't say a word. "It's okay," he tells her in a deep voice.

     "It's not," she quickly cuts him off, as he looks shocked. "You've been very good to Isabella, from how supportive I see you are, and she tells me the same exact thing. So, I apologize for speaking so rudely to you. I know it's not an excuse but I just feel so terrible and embaressed for how I've been acting lately."

      "I understand."

      "Especially last night. . . I mean't no harm. I'm very sorry."