Chapter 17

Chapter 17

Ella's POV:

Meeting Declan's sister has been the highlight of my week.

I had no idea he had a sister, so when he brought me to meet her, it was kind of shocking.

Their personalities were quite similar, and so were some of their characteristics. I noticed when they laughed, they had the same crease in their eyebrows, and whenever their lips quirked, they had that same stunning smile.

Both charming.

It makes me wonder, what do their parents look like? Declan doesn't live with them, nor does Riley. She lives with their aunt.

All and all, she was absolutely adorable.

It's been three days since I've seen both Riley and Declan. After he brought me home, I haven't seen him since. He hasn't been to school, nor has he been bringing me. Thomas brought me on the first day. Every morning for the last three days, I got texts from him, each different, but the concept the same.

Apparently, something came up where he couldn't be in school. It's kind of weird though, because Wes hasn't been in school either. Is that a coincidence or what? Whatever it was, it must involve both of them.

The first day Declan didn't attend school, I went and let me tell you it wasn't a good idea. It was horrible. My anxiety legit ate me alive. The second day when I received his text, I decided not to go, and when the third day came, you can probably guess that I definitely didn't go.

For every day the last couple of days I've missed, Olivia has gotten my work and so gracefully brought it over after school for me. She even gave me the answers, best friend material, or what? After I copied the answers (I know I'm such a cheater), we hung out.

She was a lifesaver. When I thanked her she said 'that's what best friends are for.' I hoped she knew how grateful I was.

Last night for the first time in forever we ran together, and it was a good three miles too; it was her idea. She said it would relieve my help stress, and she was right. We ended up running the back roads for twenty-five minutes.

So now today I'm a bit sore, despite the fact I've run every couple of days. Probably because I hate stretching, and maybe...okay I definitely skip doing it because I don't have the patience for it.

Today will be my third-day skipping school, and it will be Declan's fourth day. I swear it's becoming a streak. I got the same text this morning. Now every single morning he's texted me, I've brushed it off, but today's different. I have this feeling in the pit of my stomach, and no matter what I do, I can't shake it.

What's making him so busy that he has to miss school? Did something bad happen? After about ten minutes of debating whether I should text him or not, I do.

'Are you okay?' I hit the send button, and after waiting for a response back. Three simple words, but they hold a lot of meaning.

A couple of minutes later, my phone vibrates. 'Why? Are you worried about me, Lil' one?'

A question with a question, I should've expected that. But I'm worried and don't have time to dwell over the butterflies fluttering my stomach.

'Obviously.' I respond, not really caring how it sounds; he has no right to ask me that question when he hasn't told me anything, which in turn leaves me to worry.

'Are you giving me attitude again, Ellie? Twice in one week, although I do like that you're worried about me.' He replies only seconds later. I know, without a doubt, he has a grin set on his red lips; I can practically see it.