“How did you know that?”

            “I had gone to her house to get a box of money that she had saved up, I had hidden in her closet when I heard her father coming down the hall.”

            “Were you mad about that?” 

            “Of course, I was furious.” I admitted, “He killed my mother.”

            “Would you say you were so furious that you wanted to get revenge? Maybe—kill someone just as close to him?”

            Mary reached out her hand, waiting for me to take it. She squeezed it lightly in reassurance that she was there for me. “Of course not.”

            “Not even one sliver of thought?” the officer spoke up. I looked between him and Mary, who sat on the small arm chair.

            “No, I don’t know what you’re trying to do here, but I never once thought about killing Mary.”

            “So his wife then?”

            “No! Stop that! I didn’t want to kill anyone.”

            “Don’t test your luck, son.” I shook my head at the brunette haired man whose badge read Officer Daniels. I didn’t know why he was trying to so hard.

            “I’m sorry to interrupt officer but just what exactly are you trying to get him to confess to?”

            “Even though we have had people say wonderful things about your relationship with each other, there was one person who seemed to have concern about Niall.”

            “Who?” I asked,

            “That’s private, Ms. Thomas.” The man said, I shook my head, laughing at his response.

            “That’s bullshit.” I laughed, not getting any more patient with the policemen sitting on my couch. “I’m not out to kill Mary, or anyone else around her. I’m not out to kill anybody. Why the fuck is that so hard for you people to understand?”

            “You seem to have an anger issue, does that ever scare you, Ms. Thomas?”

            I looked between Mary and Officer Daniels, knowing that my anger scared Mary sometimes. That’s when my heart really started to race. “Sometimes,” she paused, “But I never feel threatened.” She quickly added.

            “Are you really trying that hard to convict me of something?” I growled, walking towards the front door, “Please leave, you’ve asked me enough shit for today.” I shook my head, staring him down as he brushed passed me and out the door. I barely waited for him to exit before slamming the door shut behind him. “That was complete bullshit.” I grumbled, plopping my body down on the couch.

            “You didn’t have to get so worked up.” She answered, “That just gives them more of a reason to keep investigating you. You know they will probably be back.”

            “Yeah, well most likely, if they have suspicion of me plotting to murder you, they will probably stalk the house, in hopes to get something good.” I mumbled, staring at the ceiling. I remembered that the night my mother was murdered, the police sat outside of our house. They were too stupid to realize the killer wouldn’t come back this way, not after he just murdered somebody. Either way, they sat camped outside of house for a whole week before giving up on the hope that Johnny would be back.

            “Just when everything goes great here, something has to come up and fuck it up.” She grumbled, “We’ve only been dealing with this for two days, and I feel like it’s been months.” She sighed. I frowned. Maybe if we weren’t together, she wouldn’t be dealing with this. She wouldn’t have to see police investigating me as a potential killer.

            “I’m sorry baby.”

            “Who do you think the guy was anyway?” I shrugged, thinking of anyone and everything that has tried to get in mine and Mary’s way. The only name coming into mind was Dale. But he showed up and helped us this morning.

            “I can only think of Dale.”

            “That’s weird, babe.” She laughed, “I’d hope that you were thinking of me.” I knew she was only trying to lighten the mood, and probably trying hard to prevent another panic attack.

            “I mean, I can only imagine that it was Dale who tried to fuck it up, even though he did come to help us this morning and tell us what was happening. I can’t imagine he’s happy that you’re still with someone ten times better. Maybe he said something bad—and he just left that part out when he came this morning.” I explained, “That little shit thought we wouldn’t find out, he thought that I wouldn’t find out.” I chuckled, “That wasn’t a smart move on his part, which pisses me off.”

            She shook her head, rubbing her forehead before looking up at me. “Be careful what you say.” She muttered. I didn’t give what she said much thought. I was too overwhelmed with anger to think about anything other than that asshole Dale.

            I didn’t want to go drink about it, although I had the biggest itch to have a drink.

--

M A R Y

            The house fell completely silent after I walked back into mine and Niall’s bedroom. It wouldn’t surprise me if Dale had been the one to say something shady and then cover up his own tracks by doing something nice. I’d hope that Niall would find a way to channel his anger with Dale, since the cops are watching us. I knew that when he got mad he would get violent sometimes, if the situation was right. Although, through my eyes the situation was never right to get violent, but Niall didn’t see things the way I did.

            After almost an hour of not hearing anything from Niall, or any movement in the living room for that matter, I decided to go and check on him. Coming into a clear view of an empty living room and kitchen, I mentally sighed. That wasn’t going to be a good sign. I pushed back the curtain of the living room window, and saw the police car sitting out front. I didn’t want to go ask them if they saw Niall go anywhere, because then if something bad was happening—they would go search for Niall and I didn’t in anyway want to risk that. I didn’t want to risk Niall going to jail, I don’t think I could bare him being away for long again.

             I pulled on a pair of workout pants, and a pair of tennis shoes and threw on a hoodie. I could get passed him by saying that I was going for a run. Surely, if he knew Niall was gone, he wouldn’t still be sitting outside—would he? I shrugged off my thoughts and closed the front door behind me, jogging down the driveway, giving Officer Daniels a friendly smile and wave as I ran past his car. My feet didn’t bring me to reach the corner fast enough. As soon as I turned the corner, behind the hedges of the corner house, my hands fell to my knees. It was short run, yeah, but I have never ran in my life, except for maybe when I was little. But I had a lot more energy then. Despite how exhausted my body was from last night's panic, I was still out here, walking around the whole town trying to search for the man that I loved.

            Damn it Niall, where did you storm off to? My mind was starting to think the worst. He went to find Dale—I wouldn’t even put it passed him. But I just couldn’t bring my whole self to believe that he would go searching for Dale while he’s being watched.

____________________________

Niall's being shady. This chapter could have been so much longer, but I decided to split it into two chapters so enjoy the cliff hanger buds. Let me know what you think is going to happen.

Comment, Vote, ya know. I dedicate chapters to the lovely commentors. 

xx -A