Chapter 13

Gavin immediately raised a finger to his lips as Ava flashed him a worried look. He slowly got up from the bed and made his way over to the window, carefully pulling the thick green curtain back just slightly to peer outside. He immediately ducked back into the room and made his way over to her. "I think they've found us. We have to make a run for it," he told her, grabbing her shaky hands and pulling her from the bed. He leaned forward and pressed a brief kiss to her forehead. "Don't worry. I've got you," he told her, his own hands threatening to shake.

Ava could tell that he was scared, but he was trying to keep calm in front of her. She drew in a deep breath, knowing that she was literally about to run for her life. She knew there wasn't really anything around the motel but a few other old buildings and the highway. She didn't know where they could even go, but she knew that they couldn't stay there. "I'm right with you," she told him, calming herself as much as she could. She had to keep her head somewhat clear if she was going to make it. She had to make it.

"We're going to run along the side of the building and then keep going," Gavin told her, having no exact plan but to just run and try to get away. He grabbed her hand and led her to the door, his eyes meeting hers once more. "Ready?"

Ava gripped his hand tightly, feeling some comfort in the hold. At least she wasn't all alone in this. "Ready," she told him, only feeling sort of ready, but they didn't have any time to waste. When she heard him open the door, she immediately ran forward with him, darting along the side of the building. She heard car doors fly open behind her, her head turning to dare a glance back to see three men running after them, one being the man that was trying to deliver the pizza earlier. Her breath threatened to get caught in her chest as she realized that what he did was a whole con. She had been tricked.

"Around here!" Gavin told her, cutting to the right to sprint behind the motel building, the grass uncut and unruly. He headed for an abandoned gas station up ahead, weaving around the gas pumps, his head glancing back to see where the men were at.

Ava knew that the men chasing them were closing in on them. She could hear their footsteps grow faster and faster as they raced through the darkness. She could hardly see anything in front of her, the dim, orange streetlights only illuminating so much of the area. She turned a corner with Gavin, suddenly being thrown into a bunch of bushes that lined the building.

"Stay here," Gavin hissed to her quickly before continuing to run off, hoping to lead the men away from her.

Ava hit the ground with a huff, feeling too sore to immediately get up. The approaching sounds of the men's footsteps coaxed her to stay still and stay silent, her body completely shrouded by the thick bushes. She watched them run past through the leaves, her breath stilling to not make any sort of noise.

Once they passed by, she peered out a little to look for Gavin, trying to see through the dimly lit area for his figure. She saw someone running up ahead with three shadows right behind him. Suddenly, he was taken down to the ground, a gasp ringing from her. She wanted to get out of the bushes, run to him, and help him, but he had told her to remain there in the bushes out of sight. She knew that her chances of being able to actually help him were slim. She would just get in the way and get captured or killed. She was just leverage for the men against Gavin.

Gavin struck up with his fist, catching one of the Ukrainian men in the cheek. He kicked out with his right foot, striking another in the stomach. He rolled over to try to push himself up and off the ground, but someone stepped on his back, forcing him back down to the ground roughly, his face striking the ground. A pained groan sounded from him as he struggled, doing everything he could to fight off the three men. Eventually, his struggle faltered as they landed kick after kick against his body, his strength fading until he laid helpless on the ground.