Chapter 8 ~ Savior

Lindsey’s P.O.V

After leaving that house I was very confused. I felt like there was so much in my head but at the same time there was nothing at all. I felt terrible. Before going to sleep that night I remember screaming my head off… then I passed out.

I woke up gasping for air. My sister entered my room.

“Lindsey, mom’s dead” she said. I got up and quickly ran to my mom’s room. Her breathing was low and she had bruises all over her.

“Quick, call 911” I yelled. She brought the phone and dialed 911. The ambulance came and took her away. I have a feeling who was the one who did this. My sister and I called our relatives, besides my step dad. We all packed in the hospital. I hugged my sister and we both cried. “It’s okay. It’ll be okay. Just have faith little Jacklyn… have faith”

“I love you, Lindsey”

“I love you too” We were there all day, waiting anxiously. I looked at the time and saw that it was after school. At this moment, Toby must be waiting for me and I’ll never get there. I sighed and held my phone tight in my hands. My sister wanted to go out for ice cream so we ran outside and chased after the ice cream truck. When we finally caught up to it, we were in front of Starbucks. I smiled thinking of Toby.

“I got it!”

“Alright, let’s go” On the way back I got a text from Toby.

Hey Nugget, where are you? I expected you to be here by now… Did something happen? Are you alright?

I pressed reply.

I’m at the hospital…

I waited and waited for news about my mom. I started crying out of agony. I can’t stand waiting like this! My mother can’t die! Even if she doesn’t really care about me, I love her! She’s my mom! She went through labor just to have me! I was a little miracle in her arms…

Suddenly, the hospital doors swung open and there I saw a face I was very familiar with. The same worried look I’ve seen so many times. When he saw me he picked me up and hugged me tightly.

“Thank god you’re okay” I started crying quietly in his arms.

“Toby, you didn’t…” He backed away and kissed me. I was so surprised but I didn’t have the energy to push him away. My phone started ringing so he let go of me and I fell into my chair with a thump! I reached into my bag and answered the call. “Hello?”

“Lindsey, what happened? You didn’t come to school today so it was so depressing. Where are you?”

“Uh…” I kept staring at Toby who was pacing back and forth, pulling his hairs out anxiously. “I’m at the hospital. My mother was beaten and I called an ambulance”

“I want to squeeze you so hard right now! Wait for me!” I heard the dial tone and sighed. I put the phone away and waited.

“Lindsey, about what happened…” Toby grabbed my hand gently and stood me up.

“What about it?”

“I didn’t mean to disrespect you like that. I really didn’t know what I was doing. I’m sorry I misled you like that. I’m s-”

“Hey…” I put my hand on his cheek. “Stop apologizing”

Kameron barged in and when he saw me in Toby’s arms he got angry and sad.

“Lindsey, what are you doing?” I backed away and Toby walked out of there without saying a word. Kameron stood before me. I slowly looked up at him and saw many tears streaming down his face.