Part Ten

A’s Hideout

            It didn’t take long, it didn’t really take anything, but Toby was broke. He hadn’t tried to escape anymore, and it had been over an hour since Alison and Cece were last in the room. He just hung on the pipe and let tears fall down his face till his face felt numb. Suddenly, the door opened and Cece came walking down the steps with a tray of food.

            “Dry those tears Cavanaugh. Even kidnapped victims get to eat.”, she said as she walked over and removed the gag from his mouth. He stretched his jaw, but didn’t say a word. “What, no comebacks? No threats?”, Cece said, setting up a place for her to sit. “No. Just, a question.”, Toby said, getting Cece to pay a little more attention to him. “Which is?”, she asked. “Why are you helping her?”, Toby asked.

            It took Cece a moment to answer, afraid Alison might overhear them. “I don’t know. I mean, we’ve been friends for a while and…why am I answering your questions? You’re supposed to answer our questions.”, she said, an angry look in her eyes. “What questions? You haven’t asked me anything. All you’ve done is tie me up and gag me this whole time.”, Toby countered. “Look, it’s complicated. There are just some things I owe Ali. And, this is how I’m paying them off.”, Cece continued. “I get it.”, Toby said, sincerely understanding what Cece was meaning.

        “Just, um, just let me give you this so I can go.”, she said, bringing a spoon of soup up to Toby’s mouth. She placed it in his mouth and let him eat it. A few minutes later, the bowl was empty and Cece was heading back up to Alison when Toby said, “You know Cece, you don’t have to let Ali control you. You’re older, smarter, and definitely a lot kinder.” Cece had a small smile, then went back over and placed the gag back in Toby’s mouth. He didn’t fight against it. He went ahead and let Cece place it in his mouth and she went back up to Ali, but with a little bit more confidence than before.