Chapter 1: The Day We Met

It was probably the most nerve- wracking day of Clementine's life. Because of her hard work she put into her high school years, from being an honour roll student, to being the star player of almost every sports team, she got accepted into Ericson's University, one of the most prestigious universities in the country, on a scholarship to pursue medicine and physical health.

Just like her mother.

As she sat in the passenger seat of her adopted father Lee's car, with her earphones blasting melodies into her ears, she thinks back to her parents. It had been at least ten years since they passed, but the pain never goes away. She will never forget the day she was sitting in the back seat, while her father and mother were in the front seat, driving to the park after Clementine begged for hours. But they sadly never made it to the park. Clementine shakes her head and shuts her eyes to hide whatever tears that started building up as she tries to think about something else.

"You're thinking about them, aren't you?", Lee states in a hushed tone, trying to keep his voice down, as his adopted son, AJ is sleeping soundly in his car seat, with a disco broccoli plushie in his arms.

Clementine unplugs one earphone and turns to her dad, with a slight downward curve on her lips.

"I know I shouldn't, but I can't help it. I always hoped they would be here when this would happen." She says with sadness but holding herself together, to refrain from crying.
"It's not a bad thing, they were your parents, but you should know that they would be proud of you, and the young woman you've become," he says with a smile as he places a hand on her head rubbing it gently.

"I know, but I'm glad I have you, Carley and AJ, you guys are my family." Clem says with her tone slightly more cheerful. "And we always will be. No matter what." Lee says as he continues driving.

Clementine will always remember when Lee and Carley adopted her, how she would spend time sitting in her bedroom, and that she would refuse to talk to anyone. But little by little, she warmed up to them, and they love her and AJ as their own. Which they are.

Clem's heart rate goes up by a mile when her dad starts to pull up to the front gates of the new school. She starts to sweat as the car gets put into park. The 5'2 girl steps out of the car to see the huge brick building in front of her. "Ericson's University." She lowers her gaze to her eye level, to see other students and their families saying their final goodbyes. She saw it all, from annoyed teenagers anxious to leave, from emotional mothers, crying and reminding their children to call them everyday.

"Carley really wishes she could be here, but she couldn't leave her business trip early," Lee says with a sleepy AJ by his side. "
Y'know DAD, you can say your MOM, we've talked about this. You and Carley are AJ and I's mom and dad. Thats not going to change." Clementine states with a 'matter of fact' tone, with a smirk on her lips and her arms crossed.
Lee chuckles. "Damn, I'm gonna miss you're smartass," he says as he grabs the girl and brings her in for a tight hug. "I'm only a 2 hour drive away, it's not like I'm on Venus." She states as she returns the hug with the same amount of strength through her embrace.
As she releases she gets down on one knee, to get eye level with her younger brother. "You gonna miss me goofball?" she says while trying to hold on her laughter as she sees the little boys face turn from sleepy and dazed to a frown. It was hilarious to see the 11 year old boy so angry. "It's Alvin Jr. and yes I'm gonna miss you. Did you literally have to pick the furthest school ever?" He says with a hint of sadness in his voice. Clementine sighs as she pulls him in for a hug.

"I know, but this is one of the hardest schools to get into. Ever, I know it sucks but I'll only be a phone call or a text message away, okay?" She whispers as she kisses he side of his cheek.